Another Amazing Flange Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

bonakdar

Reaction score
Newbie here but I'm hoping to lean on some more experienced guides for some advice. Our first remodel and the tile guys put the tile in the bathroom at the same level as the old flange.
The flange has one of the bolts broken clean off and is clearly very rusty.
There's a concrete base slab below.
The pipe and flange are both very cast-iron looking and I can' not figure out how this is assembled. I've reviewed the normal flange assemblies and the more complex ones, even the lead caulking method with the molten seal. I don't think that's what I'm up against though, the second image helps show that.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

The toilet I'm putting in is a Toto Aquia II dual flush that sits on the flange but doesn't bolt down to it. Instead, there are mounting blocks in the back.
aquia_install_fig_5.jpg

Here's the product page and the install manual:
toto-CST416M.jpg

And a guide video from This Old House: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20282759,00.html

I don't really want to remove this old flange if I don't have to. My plan at this moment is to use this brass flange over top of the old flange, bolting it down, and then putting the wax ring over them. This will also raise the the flange height a bit more to what it should be in the process.

23290697.jpg

I don't know what lives under the flange besides concrete and I haven't been able to figure out how the flange and the iron pipe are attached, so this is the most reasonable solution I have found. It'd be great to chisel up the thing and replace it completely, but I'm not sure that's really necessary. Can I get a few opinions or suggestions?

Thank you,

Bo

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The adapter bolts onto the existing flange. It also will need some holes drilled into the floor to hold the anchor bolts. So, the adapter bolts to the normal flange, then the toilet gets bolted to the adapter. You do not need to replace the flange you have, but they did you no favor by getting the tile too close to remove and then install a new bolt for the adapter to the flange. YOu might be able to use a repair ring. FWIW, the narrow notches to hold the toilet bolts is stronger than slots - some flanges have only one type, some have both. A repair ring means lots more holes to drill, since it needs to be anchored to the floor well, then sealed to the existing flange. Here is one example...lots of companies make repair rings.

Attachments

• Repair ring.jpg
    Repair ring.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 429

bonakdar

Reaction score
Thank you both for the reply.

As I was preparing to get down and dirty, I couldn't help be think that there's no way this thing was made to not have it's T-bolts replaced. I'm going to try and clean up that area some more and see if there is a way to indeed just replace it like Smooky is alluding too. I already looked and it didn't seem possible, but I'm going to give it another chance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks