Installing corrugated stainless steel gas lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Wally Pfautz

Reaction score
I had a short section of CSS tubing installed with a couple of Ts and other fittings by a plumber and the bill was $550, which I thought was pretty high for such a simple job. I need to extend this new service to create a whole new branch for an addition, and want to use the CSS tubing like Gastite again, but imagine it will be very expensive based on the previous work. I'm comfortable installing black pipe but not CSS and I should be a certified installer to work with this material anyway.

What is involved in becoming a "certified installer" so that I can do this work myself?

Hazel

Wally Pfautz

Reaction score
Thanks for the link

I don't know if the time and money will be worth learning vs. having someone do the job, but I guess now I can find out. Thanks again

H

North Jersey

Reaction score
A certified installer allowed me to purchase TracPipe under his certificate number. My supply house added the certificate number to my account. Just read the manual and follow the instructions. It's not that complicated, but CSST manufacturers want to avoid undue scrutiny brought on by botched installs. You can't mix and match fittings between manufacturers, but you can buy an NPT fitting for the Gastite if you want to convert to Tracpipe, which seems to be more readily available on Craigslist, auction sites, and online retailers. I purchased some second hand tubing for very little money.

The main considerations when working with this stuff are proper bonding, maintaining proper bend radii, leaving sufficient slack where appropriate, and protecting the tubing from mechanical damage (nail plates, conduit, etc).

*edit*
Don't use dish soap to isolate a leak. The phosphates or something in the soap can corrode your stainless steel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Also have a proper cutter that cuts the pipe at the proper angle and cleanly.
If you don't have the right cutter, it may be impossible to seal the joints.

North Jersey

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Gastite, but TracPipe cuts very cleanly with a Ridgid close quarters tubing cutter. The TracPipe fittings actually flare the fittings as you tighten them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've had them leak when using a standard pipe cutter not designed for CSST.

I had left my CSST cutter at home five hours away.
All of the joints made with the proper cutter turned out fine.

North Jersey

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess you need a larger than average cutting wheel for the large diameter tubing. I've only used my small Ridgid cutter on 1" and smaller. Here's a note from the TracPipe manual:

NOTE: Due to the large diameter and depth of corrugation
on sizes over 1", tubing must be cut with
a standard tubing cutter RIDGIDTM 152 or equal
using a TracPipe cutting wheel no. FGP-E-5272
(P/N E-5272 or equal). CAUTION: Use of a small cutting
wheel may flatten the first corrugation and
make cutting and/or sealing of fittings difficult

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks