Moen 3570 Valve Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Experts,

I am finishing up a bathroom remodel. I closed the check-stop valves on my Moentrol 3570 valve and left them screwed in (off) for a few months. When backing them back out now to turn the water back out they are both weeping water around the valve screw. It isn't a stream but enough to develop a drip in about 30 minutes. I have tried screwing them back in and unless they are screwed all the way in, shutting off the water, the stop/check valve continues to leak.

I called Moen and they are sending me 2 new stop-check valves P/N 12318. My questions to all of you experts are as follows:

1) Are these things prone to leak? Should I never use them and make sure I shut the water off in the basement before doing maintenance?
2) I assume a decent socket and ratchet should be able to remove the bad valves?
3) The shower partially covers up the right valve stop. I assume one has to cut the shower a little wider to access it but still making sure it is covered by the escutcheon?

Any tips or suggestions to stop the leak without resorting to a replacement? Moen's help line seemed more interested in shipping me parts under my warranty than they did troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on the kind of valve they use. If there's a packing nut, an 1/16th turn may solve the leak fully. If it's an O-ring, it won't. From a pro's standpoint, they're kind of useless, since to replace the cartridge, the normal only wear part, you don't have to take the eschution off, so would probably not even know they are there. Many of those are caulked on, so taking it off adds a lot to the time and therefore cost. THey are handy during construction, especially with a DIY'er, but may not be useful any time after.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
These are the integrated valve stops that come with the valve (at extra cost I am told). It does not appear there is a packing nut that can be tightened like what is around a gate valve. Does not appear to be the most robust design I have ever seen.

I need to figure out what I am doing...may call a plumber to take care of the valve stop on the right. I am not excited about cutting into my shower.

It depends on the kind of valve they use. If there's a packing nut, an 1/16th turn may solve the leak fully. If it's an O-ring, it won't. From a pro's standpoint, they're kind of useless, since to replace the cartridge, the normal only wear part, you don't have to take the eschution off, so would probably not even know they are there. Many of those are caulked on, so taking it off adds a lot to the time and therefore cost. THey are handy during construction, especially with a DIY'er, but may not be useful any time after.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moen comes with a round rough-in plate, that if the tile had been installed around that, you would have had proper access to the shutoffs.
I hate it when tile setters don't give us the required spacing. Sometimes just to replace a cartridge, I have to drill out their tile.
Tile setters are not always plumber savvy.

A socket wrench should work on that. And no, they don't normally leak.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I opened them both wide open and they seemed to have stopped leaking, but I am going to keep an eye on them. I never had them wide open before as I was afraid the screw would back right out.

---Aaron

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Regarding the integral stops
1. I never recommend them
2. They are basically useless because normally when we repair the valve we turn off the water supply to the house and NEVER even touch the trim plate so we would not even know the stops were there
3. If we did know they were there we would disregard them because in most cases they will not turn the water off or will leak when operated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks