Disadvantages to no shower access panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm remodeling our bathroom to update the shower and move the vanity into a space that used to be a closet. Hidden in the closet, there was an access panel to get to the shower controls. With the new configuration, the access panel would not be very well hidden.

I'd like to take out the old access panel and drywall over it. My understanding is that the downside is that future repairs (if any) on the shower controls would require taking down the drywall.

What are your thoughts on not having a shower access panel? Are there any code issues with not having one?

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about code requirments, but you sure will regret it when repairs are necessary. Instead of trying to hide the access panel, accent it, make it an attractive part of the decor. I use the access area in the front of my tub/shower to store the plunger (need have needed it, but it's there if I do) I build a door that looks like part of the room. Sure, if you looked at it and wondered why there was a frame in the section of wall, you might realize this was an access door. Most people would consider this an ingenious way to deal with the situtation. I seriously doubt that any visitor has gone home shocked about the fact that there was an access door to my plumbing. If I were to visit a home that had seal up the access to there plumbing, I would likely go home shaking my head at the lack of foresight and thanking my stars that wasn't my home and that I wouldn't be the one to face the repair jobs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
access

There is almost no faucet repair, other than replacing it, that needs an access panel in the wall behind it. I have not even seen an access panel in the wall for over 50 years, and since many tubs/showers have another one on the opposite side of the wall, you could not install an access anyway. Install a good valve initially and then cover the access hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks