SYMMONS Temptrol: Hot water turns cold

Users who are viewing this thread

homeowner

Reaction score
SYMMONS Temptrol shower faucet. At mid-setting, the water temperature is warm at first - then turns lukewarm and then cool - all in about 60-90 seconds. I replaced the Spindle (TA-10). No joy.
When I have the cold water supply off and leave the hot water supply on, and the faucet is about halfway open, the hot water comes out of the tub faucet in a dribble. My water comes from a well and normally when I run cold water from a tap, it gets increasingly colder as the water in the line is replaced with cold water out of the ground. I'm thinking the cold water mixing in the Symmons valve is room temperature when I first turn the shower on - so the very little hot water I do have isn't chilled down right away and that's why it feels like a normal shower temperature. As the water in the line gets increasingly colder, it brings the entire output down to a cool temperature. Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

homeowner

Reaction score
Thanks. I did have that document. I went through it top to bottom and couldn't find anything that would help. The house is 24 years old. My wife uses the bathroom where I'm having the problem. She seems to think this is something she's lived with for a year or so. She deals with it by continuing to crank up the hot water and hope she gets finished before she runs out. I use the other bathroom and never have a problem running out of hot water. But thank you for the quick response.

homeowner

Reaction score
No. I haven't done anything to any fixtures other than replace the single handle faucet spindle last Sunday. Is it possible the seats have deteriorated and this is contributing to the problem? I would have thought worn seats would cause leakage or made it difficult to get the water to turn off. I just don't seem to have much hot water coming out of the faucet when the cold supply is Off and the hot supply is still On. It's just a dribble. Thanks again for the reply.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just don't seem to have much hot water coming out of the faucet when the cold supply is Off and the hot supply is still On. It's just a dribble.

Most new shower faucets are set up so that if someone flushes a toilet you do not get scalded in the shower. So if the cold water is shut off or is turned way down you will not get much hot water either. That might be your problem.

homeowner

Reaction score
OK. Thanks - I didn't know that. After I finished changing out the spindle, I re-opened the cold water supply before I closed out the system. My wife seems to think it's slightly better than it was but I tried that shower myself and both of us noted that we have to keep cranking in more and more hot water to keep it warm and hope we don't run out of hot water before being done with a 5-minute shower. I have the exact same single handle valve and faucet in my other bathroom and never have this problem - I can set the temperature to warm and it stays there start to finish. I need to have both bathrooms remodeled soon. I'll probably have to have the single faucet replaced at that time and maybe this will be a moot point then anyway. Thank you.

symmonsvalve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks