Underground pipe too close to foundation footing?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Just saw that UPC wants no pipe within 45-deg of the foundation footing. In the attached photo you can perhaps see that I didn't know that when I laid these pipe. So, they are within that downward angle... is this something that will very likely get flagged or ignored on inspection? Obviously a pain to change. 100 year old house (ie. very settled foundation) in Seattle WA if it matters.

Thanks. WP_010281.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The footing in the photo is indistinct, and looks like a continuation of the wall. The soil on the side of a footing does nothing. It is the ground under it that requires stability, so the blue line is the critical zone.

DavidTu

Reaction score
OK, sorry it wasn't clear. The black pipe in the left foreground is above ground and it is a drain from laundry that then dips below ground. This is a brick foundation, so no real footing, just another row of brick. You can see that the "footing" is that row of brick that is obscured by the laundry drain (above ground). Once it dips below ground that bit of brick that was previously not visible is the foundation. In any case, yes it is in the blue zone. The pipe is below the level of the bottom of the foundation. The white PVC pipe is going out to the sewer and it goes right under the foundation pretty much at the level you see it there. Hope that helps. I can annotate if needed or maybe add pics.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks