(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Yard hose bib, best practice for stress relief

Default Yard hose bib, best practice for stress relief

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking for the past couple months and have really enjoyed the discourse and experienced plumbers sharing. I just replaced my water and natural gas lines from the meter back to the house.

I tee'd a 3/4" copper line off the 1" copper line that runs to my home in order to put a hose bib in the front yard...I'm wondering what the best practice is for stress relief to my main line in case the bib gets hit or is pulled on when I try to strech my 50' hose out to 75'. Should I just attach the 3/4" to a support stake? What would you do? I have a couple Rain Bird irrigation valve boxes, should I just plumb the bib below ground? I'm still worried about torsionals and stress from pulling on the hose etc.

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

If you keep it in a lined hole (plastic gallon bucket with the bottom cut out works well) below ground level, it will be easier to keep it from freezing in the winter, and to mow over it.
    If you put it above ground, I would attach it to a pressure-treated 4X4 anchored well in the ground beside it.
    Mike

Freezing, Winter...what are those??? It was in the 80's last week and upper 70's and windy this week!!! Thanks, for the replies I'll probably put it below ground as you say with a bucket liner packed in sand?

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Default water components sells a in ground [marin co ,san rafael]

water hose recoil box is green plastic with top door sets in ground