Looking for simple programable one day thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

Philtrap

Reaction score
Folks,

My home in Vermont has boiler with baseboard heat. No A/C. I have seven zones. I have three different types of thermostats and a bunch are 7 day Robert Shaw programable. I want to make them all the same and use simple ones. The problem I'm having is when someone uses the house it's very difficult for them to reprogram the thermostats to be set 55 degree when they leave. They always leave one or two zone on and it's costing me a lot in heating. I need a 24 hour programable thermostat with no fan switch (I don't know why they all come with this..). Something simple and cheap. I've searched some sites but most of them are too complex and have a A/C and fan function which I don't need. I need simple ones. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Digital thermostats will all have a fan function but you dont have to use it. Look at Honeywell's stuff. Their new programable thermostats will pretty much do whatever you need.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It may be hard to find a programmable that simple.

However you can program a 7 day to have the same setting every day.

They are cheap, and no manufacture will likely make a 1 day.

You do not needs the fan switch, but it is just there, and does not need to be used.

Many have a auto setback function, You turn it on, and it will revert back to its low or high set limit, after a preset time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the house has WIFI, you might want to consider buying some you can check and adjust from remote...then, when they leave, you can set them wherever you want to, or at least verify they're where you want them to be. ANd, if you're on your way, you can raise the temp so it's warm when you get there.

The fan switch would do nothing, so it really doesn't matter whether there's one there or not.

Pretty much all of the programmable ones I've seen have a 'Hold' function...press that, then the up/down to get the desired temp, and it stays there forever until you change it back to auto or manually raise or lower it. If yours do have a 'hold' function (probably do), it is often a dedicated button, but may be some multi-key combination. If you're going to replace any of them, I'd ensure you find one with that feature, then, most anyone (even my 87-year old mother) can figure it out.

Philtrap

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I like the wifi idea. I still don't understand why they make some of them so complicated. Venstar makes a single day programable, but it has an AC function and I don't need that.

BTW - The ones we have has a hold function. It goes back to the program mode once it hits the next change. That becomes a problem.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
BTW - The ones we have has a hold function. It goes back to the program mode once it hits the next change. That becomes a problem.

I put in a Honeywell programmable at my mother's that she could not figure out...it's been running in temp hold mode for years now. I guess you need to read the fine print to see if there are differences in operation. I do not know if that's the norm with theirs, or the exception

DonL

Reaction score

For the "Hold Temp" to work on the Honeywell you have to set the temp first, then push the Hold Temp button.

If you change the temp, After pressing the Hold Temp button, it will run the program that is in memory, on the next, Morning, Day, Night or evening setting.

On some T-Stats "Temp" may not be Temperature it could be Temporary. China Knock offs may have "Temp Hold" instead of "Hold Temp"

A Hold button does not cure your problem tho, Unless a Temporary Hold would work.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
With seven zones why do they all have to be programmable? I suspect most would be fine with a "set and forget" approach at 55F until that zone is actually being used by the visitor-occupants.

And with seven zones, hopefully the system design isnt such that it's short-cycling the boiler into a low-efficiency and early grave...

The cheap 5 +2 LuxPro PSP511s are pretty easy to program, and have a fairly straightforward "Temperature Hold" function. From the manual:

TEMPERATURE HOLD
A Temperature Hold is similar to an override, but is used for maintaining a
constant set temperature for a longer time duration. Once a Hold is initiated, the
thermostat will maintain the Hold set temperature indefinitely. A temperature
hold may be used for days, weeks, or even months at a time. To enter a Hold,
push the HOLD button once, and the word Hold will appear in the temperature
portion of the screen, along with the set temperature flashing. While the set
temperature is flashing, push either the UP or DOWN button to the new desired
set temperature value. To cancel a Hold, press and release the HOLD button once
again, rotate the dial, or change the Temperature mode switch.

JerryR

Reaction score
I have 2 homes that we go back and forth between. We use Filtrete 3M-50 wifi thermostats. They are initially tricky to set up but once properly configured to the wifi router they are rock solid. We bought these from Home Depot for $99 each, but they no longer sell them

One home has 2 zones, therefore 2 thermostats. The other is a single zone.

You can check current temp in the house, monitor thermostat setting temps, change programs remotely via internet connection. They also gave a simple app for iPhones.

Check out http://www.radiothermostat.com The Filtrete 3m-50 is identical to the CT50 they sell directly.

When we at the home we usually set it on hold temp. When we leave we set it to program mode, where the a/c runs about 1 hour a day to keep the Florida home dehumidified.

The wifi and internet service to control the thermostats remotely is free. I subscribe to their premium service for $19/yr which allows me to view usage and interior temps graphically on all thermostats. As you can see from attached screen snapshot the home we are away from ran the a/c 1 hr and 14 minutes yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Reaction score
Them are nice, until hackers find out your IP address, or phone number.

They can be fun to hack.

It is cool what they can do.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I like the wifi idea. I still don't understand why they make some of them so complicated. Venstar makes a single day programable, but it has an AC function and I don't need that.

I think you'll like the WiFi only until you check its price and find out it is not so cheap. I've seen them (the Nest, by Google) for about 270 bucks each at the orange big box store

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
Them are nice, until hackers find out your IP address,

Hey, Life is full of risks. One needs to be aware of the risks and manage them the best way one can.

I've survived 50 years riding motorcycles, over 40 years of flying my own airplane which included risky aerobatics, a tour in Vietnam and last but not least over 45 years of marriage. ;)

Hackers are just another risk that needs to be managed as best as one reasonably can.

DonL

Reaction score
Hey, Life is full of risks. One needs to be aware of the risks and manage them the best way one can.

I've survived 50 years riding motorcycles, over 40 years of flying my own airplane which included risky aerobatics, a tour in Vietnam and last but not least over 45 years of marriage. ;)

Hackers are just another risk that needs to be managed as best as one reasonably can.

I understand.

Now you have to stay home and check for Hackers, Probing your ports and Checking your webcams.

The Iphone is a nice challenge for hackers, Because users thought it could not be done.

Tracking you is part of the plan...

JerryR

Reaction score
I understand.

Now you have to stay home and check for Hackers, Probing your ports and Checking your webcams.

The Iphone is a nice challenge for hackers, Because users thought it could not be done.

Tracking you is part of the plan...

Hum,

Today I stayed home in Florida and while checking for Hackers, port probes and webcam logins, my USAA "World MASTERCARD" was hacked. 3 unauthorized charges were made. I haven't used this card in probably 3 years.

A-1 Food store in Bakersfield Ca for $49.41
Starbucks in Bakersfield for $160.25
Wal-Mart in Houston for $19.58

How does one spend $160 at Starbucks?

Last time a card was compromised it was my wife's and 6 airline tickets were charged totaling $3,000 in just one day.

DonL

Reaction score
Hum,

Today I stayed home in Florida and while checking for Hackers, port probes and webcam logins, my USAA "World MASTERCARD" was hacked. 3 unauthorized charges were made. I haven't used this card in probably 3 years.

A-1 Food store in Bakersfield Ca for $49.41
Starbucks in Bakersfield for $160.25
Wal-Mart in Houston for $19.58

How does one spend $160 at Starbucks?

Last time a card was compromised it was my wife's and 6 airline tickets were charged totaling $3,000 in just one day.

Bummer.

Maybe they bought a coffee pot, or a membership card.

How does a person go to Wal-Mart and only spend $19.58 ? That may have been the first test run to see if the card was still good.

Is that one of those Tap RFID cards ? Do you carry it with you ? In Aluminum foil ?

I hate when that happens, Good Luck.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
Is that one of those Tap RFID cards ? Do you carry it with you ? In Aluminum

I had all my Tap RFID CARDS replaced with ones without the chips about a year ago.

The card that was compromised has not been used for over 2 years and sits in the bank safe deposit box.

My all my online passwords for accounts that have financial transactions use computer random generated passwords like 2;?K2-K;K-4ro6rd6 or +E77][1Vu499}vr1n

I think the security break was on the bank end. When I called the fraud department the hold was over 30 minutes. They said they were very busy.

I don't use cash but use credit cards for everything.

The last time they got a card number and charged $3,000 in airline tickets the booked the flights online. I called Delta and they said they needed the number, name, billing address and the CSID number on the back. That was the card I used at restaurants and at that time a restaurant credits card processor in Florida was caught selling numbers.

Here are my recent spending charges on my cards. The 3 on top are the bogus ones

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks