Is surface area of water exposed to air important

Users who are viewing this thread

foolhardy

Reaction score
I've seen differently shaped tanks of similar sizes. In a tall skinny tank, there is less surface area of the water exposed to air as compared to a wider tank. Does this make a difference as to how long the water can be stored --- dealing with air exposed to water can grow algae faster ... or ANY other reason? OR, does the shape of a tank not affect the quality/longevity of the stored water at all?

tank-vs.jpg

foolhardy

Reaction score
I ask because I'm designing a backup water tower type system and I'm wondering if it makes any difference using a tank like this:

75_gallon_plastic_tank_vt0075-23_ace_rotomold.jpg

... vs a water tote (which would only be +/- 1/3 full) like this ...

water tote.jpg

**regardless of shape, the vessel will be confirmed safe for potable water storage**

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The shape of the tank won’t make any difference. It will vent the same amount of air in and out for the same amount of water being drawn or put back into the tank. Anytime you have water sitting in a tank that is exposed to the atmosphere, contamination is a possibility. Keeping the tank out of sunlight is best, filtering the air vent helps, but you will still need a shot of chlorine occasionally.

Reach4

Reaction score
The wider tank will have a smaller variation on pressure by about .43 PSI per foot. That difference would be more significant with the tank 10 ft up than with the tank 30 ft up. You did say "any".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks