Need Advice / Professional Guidance on Double Vanity DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

usnaoo7

Reaction score
OK, so I'm 16 months into what I told my wife was going to be a 4month reno of about 1000sqft of our current home (scope creep had me make custom built-ins, closet organizers, custom moldings, etc, etc, etc)...anyhow I am in the last month of this reno (only have to install bathroom fixtures, door thresholds, and a couple other small items) and I ran into the below snag:

I originally plumbed the dwv for a 1.5in common stub-out for a dual vanity (not knowing that each sink ought to have it's own stubout). Now the vanity I purchased seems to not be to conducive to having a common stubout for two sinks (photo attached). I figured, instead of having some elaborate pvc work underneath the sink, I would strategically cut-out the drywall behind the sink and extend an additional stubout so that each sink has its own trap and connection to the dwv behind the wall. My proposal is outlined in the visio sketch below (please dont get caught up on the fact that I didnt add slope in the file and that the connections all appear to be street connections or T's...they are not...I was just constrained in what shapes I could work in visio).

My question is that: can I use the 1.5in pvc line that the kitchen sink/dishwasher uses for venting?

P1000485.jpgP1000528.jpgBathVisio.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My question is that: can I use the 1.5in pvc line that the kitchen sink/dishwasher uses for venting?

Is the kitchen sink on a lower floor?
If so, then no.

Wet venting is on one floor, and the wet vent section would be 2.0"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I assume the sink is on the same level on the other side of the wall. BUT, I would have a better feeling about it if I knew EXACTLY what fittings you were using and a semi scaled drawing, with pipe sizes, so we could see WHERE the pipes are located, because the way it is drawn, it would NOT be correct.

usnaoo7

Reaction score
Is the kitchen sink on a lower floor?
If so, then no.

Wet venting is on one floor, and the wet vent section would be 2.0"

Terry, thanks for the reply. Love the forum (long time user, first time poster). The kitchen is indeed 1/2 a floor below (50's split level...kitchen is through the wall as you look at the pipes).

Looks like I'll just have to be ultra accurate in building a shared-trap pvc drainage connection under the vanity-> thankfully the distance between the sink drains is exactly 30in and no more.

usnaoo7

Reaction score
I assume the sink is on the same level on the other side of the wall. BUT, I would have a better feeling about it if I knew EXACTLY what fittings you were using and a semi scaled drawing, with pipe sizes, so we could see WHERE the pipes are located, because the way it is drawn, it would NOT be correct.

Thanks for the reply, the drawing is to semi scale (along the vertical-horizontal axis rather than top down). My proposed solution is indeed wrong as I do see now as Terry pointed out with the fact that I can't do a 1.5" wet vent.

-Martin

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are other ways to accomplish individual drains without resorting to a wet vent for the sink. If there were not, we could never put in two sinks because we do not pipe them to a single drain opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks