First time well pumper - pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
As far as unscrewing, pumps usually run in a direction that would tend to unscrew the drop pipe.....proper torque on the drop pipe prevents this; 10 ft./lb per HP of motor....so it really doesn't take much torque on a little pump like this to not have to worry about it.

It's really strange that that persists. I wonder why a pump maker hasn't reversed that. I can see it would be confusing for repairs if a well installer went to left-hand threads.

The soft start on the Grundfos SQ would be an advantage I would think. I presume the big torque usually occurs on spin up rather than spin down.

Just comments-- no experience.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Good “Sta-kon” butt splice connectors are plenty strong when you need them to be.

Funny how when a DIYer makes a small comment that the Pros feel the need to counter. I'm sure all you Pros use nothing but the best connectors and the best tools to crimp them. That said, I can see where a DIYer will grab whatever is available at the big box store and then use a cheap crimper or pliers.

It may be a personal thing, but I've had a distrust for crimps my whole life and where it is just as easy to wrap and solder, I will. Take it or leave it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I can see where a DIYer will grab whatever is available at the big box store and then use a cheap crimper or pliers.

You are right. You need to use the right size butt splice connectors with right size and kind of pliers to make a good connection. There is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it. I have seen it done lots of different ways. Scotch locks or twist on connectors have got to be one of the worst ways I have seen it done. It needs to stay fairly smooth to be able to tape of heat shrink over it correctly. You could also just lay the two wires side by side and make a good solder connection, then you would have a smoother surface to electrically insulate. With any good connection you will pull the wires out of the motor before the splice gives way.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It's really strange that that persists. I wonder why a pump maker hasn't reversed that. I can see it would be confusing for repairs if a well installer went to left-hand threads.

The soft start on the Grundfos SQ would be an advantage I would think. I presume the big torque usually occurs on spin up rather than spin down.

Just comments-- no experience.

When Grundfos first came to the US in 1973, most of their pump models spun in the opposite direction of all other pumps. They said it was common practice over seas to keep the pipe from coming unscrewed. We sold a bunch of them that way. It didn’t matter with three-phase motors. They will spin either direction just fine. We even had special reverse rotation motors for single-phase applications. We put a bunch of them in. However, they soon changed the rotation of all their models to conform to the US mentality.

Yes a soft start reduces starting torque, but causes other problems in the process. Pumps don’t come unscrewed as much these days because we hang them on flexible PVC or Poly pipe. When they are hung on galvanized pipe, there is no flex, and they will come unscrewed easier.

No matter the kind of pipe, the pump unscrewing itself, wire chaffing, damaged check valves, switches, contactors, capacitors, bladders, etc. have not been a problem since I learned how to eliminate cycling.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I do buy the one-size-fits-all heat shrink splice kits at the big box store cuz that is all that is available in this one horse town. I just choose to throw away the crimp barrels and wrap and then solder the wire. The end result is almost as smooth and uniform as the crimp would have been and the heat shrink fits over it just fine.

RidgebackKing

Reaction score
Man, I've been looking everywhere and I can't find Schedule 80 threaded pipe. What kind of stores do you guys buys this from?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Preferred Pump, DSI, Coast Pump, Gorman Company, HD Supply, Florida Irrigation, Central Pump and Supply, John Deere Landscapes, Ewing Irrigation, and sorry to those in Florida that I didn’t list.

RidgebackKing

Reaction score
Wow, of the ones I could find a Florida location, none have it in stock. A couple said "we don't really carry schedule 80 unless its left over from a specific job" kinda comments. There are a LOT of wells in Florida and I'm starting to wonder if this schedule 80 stuff is just overkill. <sigh> It shouldn't be this hard! :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks