bad sewer odor from sink

Users who are viewing this thread

myex94

Reaction score
our place is townhouse three years old town house we have restroom at first floor and the bathroom second floor and one extra sink Is out side next to the bedrooms after second year I start smell sewer odor from that sink I check the trap I open I clean was clean because house is brand new build I even clean overflow hole was clean that too I check the trap pipe there is a water in that trap so that means Is ok water should block that smell, as soon I empty one gallon bleach (Clorox) in the sink 2 month no smell at all after couple month the smell Is coming back again I have to empty one gallon bleach and smell goes away till couple month again smell comes back now lately the first floor restroom I start smelling that odor too from the sink please help any one can help me what is the cause to have that sewer odor ?
thank you

I want to remind again after I poor one gallon bleach ( Clorox) the odor goes away for couple month and I clean the over flow is clean remember my house is brand new build. And this a photo under my sink the trap

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might be a bad Air Admittance Valve (AAV). I picture of the plumbing under the sink might help

jennifersmith

Reaction score
Website
bestplumbing.com.au
Hi,

It can cause because of if the water in the trap was either being sucked out or leaking out. You can put some drain care and X14 cleaner down the sink overflow. It took a few days or times, but it finally cleared up.

Hope helps you!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That trap looks fine.

It may be from the overflow. There is a small passage way from the overflow to the drain that can have smells.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks