Ceiling fan problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Sajeev

Reaction score
I have an Altus 52 inch fan (Modern fan company) installed in my bedroom. It is controlled by an on-off switch at the door and by a sliding regulator switch (speeds 1-4) at the bedhead.
The fan was installed by an electrician and the wiring to the fan and the on-off switch were checked recently by another one, who certified that the wiring was correct. He did not check the regulator wiring though.
The problem is the fan turns slowly even on 4. It is very quiet and smooth but produces little airflow. There are no lights on the fan.
There is no change in speed when the three room lights (one ceiling and two wall) are switched on and off.
Could there be a problem with the regulator?
Is the wiring in some way skewed?
Is the fan itself defective?
Kindly advise.
Thanks

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What, you didn't check the fan for proper operation when your electrician concluded his installation? or are these symptoms new?

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Does the fan have a pull chain on it or is the speed controlled only by the controller on the wall? Need to make sure the fan is on high speed at the fan if there is a speed control there.

Many of the higher end ceiling fans require a speed control made by the same manufacturer. A generic off the shelf speed control will not work.

Sajeev

Reaction score
What, you didn't check the fan for proper operation when your electrician concluded his installation? or are these symptoms new?

I did check the fan and found it disappointingly slow considering that it was from a well known company and expensive as hell.
However, was caught up in many things and didn't have time to sort things out with the company.
Asked the electrician and he said that it was probably all the fan could do.
Thanks for your input

Sajeev

Reaction score
Does the fan have a pull chain on it or is the speed controlled only by the controller on the wall? Need to make sure the fan is on high speed at the fan if there is a speed control there.

Many of the higher end ceiling fans require a speed control made by the same manufacturer. A generic off the shelf speed control will not work.

The fan has a slide regulator that was supplied by the same manufacturer when the fan was ordered. The max setting is 4 and the speed is slow even at that setting.
Thanks for your input

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
The fan has a slide regulator that was supplied by the same manufacturer when the fan was ordered. The max setting is 4 and the speed is slow even at that setting.
Thanks for your input
If the wiring is correct I would take a good, hard look at the fan. I have not seen a bad one out of the box very often, but I have seen it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks for your input

As mentioned, Check the pull chain setting.

The chain may have been removed, Before setting it to the highest speed.

Does the Off setting (0) work on the wall speed switch ?

Fans that large do not need to turn very fast to move a lot of air.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A 52" fan is NOT a "large fan". We would have to know how the speed control is supposed to be wired to the fan and then see if that is actually how it was done. From your description it was either not done correctly or the controller is faulty.

Sajeev

Reaction score
The fan does not work on the O setting of the regulator.
There is no pull chain on this model.
Thanks

As mentioned, Check the pull chain setting.

The chain may have been removed, Before setting it to the highest speed.

Does the Off setting (0) work on the wall speed switch ?

Fans that large do not need to turn very fast to move a lot of air.

Good Luck.

Sajeev

Reaction score
A 52" fan is NOT a "large fan". We would have to know how the speed control is supposed to be wired to the fan and then see if that is actually how it was done. From your description it was either not done correctly or the controller is faulty.

Thanks.
Shall have the electrician check the wiring to the regulator and the regulator itself again.

DonL

Reaction score
I think the problem is with the capacitor.............

Maybe could be, If it even uses a run cap.

Since that speed control is a option, then I would think that the fan motor itself has a speed setting of its own, built in.

And if that setting is not set on High, Then the fan will only run at the Max speed that the motor speed is set to, using the remote speed control.

Are we all spoiled yet ?

Sajeev

Reaction score
How does one find the speed setting on the motor?

Maybe could be, If it even uses a run cap.

Since that speed control is a option, then I would think that the fan motor itself has a speed setting of its own, built in.

And if that setting is not set on High, Then the fan will only run at the Max speed that the motor speed is set to, using the remote speed control.

Are we all spoiled yet ?

DonL

Reaction score
How does one find the speed setting on the motor?

That depends on the EXACT model number. The Numbers will tell the features.

I have a F150, but they are not all the same. Thank Goodness.

Does it have a wireless IR remote control also ? Most of those high end ones do.

If the speed is not set by a IR remote, Then it could have a pull chain switch, and the chain can be removed, so you do not see it.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Sajeev

Reaction score
That depends on the EXACT model number. The Numbers will tell the features.

I have a F150, but they are not all the same. Thank Goodness.

Does it have a wireless IR remote control also ? Most of those high end ones do.

If the speed is not set by a IR remote, Then it could have a pull chain switch, and the chain can be removed, so you do not see it.

Good Luck.

The fan does not have a pull chain option. It is offered with a wireless remote as I recall but we chose to go with the wall sliding regulator option as we have had bad experience with remotes in the past.
The electrician rechecked the wiring and found it correct.
He also excluded the regulator but this did not show any improvement.
Looks like the fan itself is defective!
Really bad luck as it is a very good looking fan, matches the decor and is very expensive.
No more Modern Fan Company fans for me!
Thanks for all the advice from so many good people.
Sajeev

DonL

Reaction score
You may need the Remote control. If it does not have a chain for speed then it has wireless remote.

That may be the key. You may be able to use a Programmable X10 remote.

The wireless remote receiver is built in, and it sounds like they just did not give you the remote control, needed to set the fan on high.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks