New Home Construction Well Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishingnerd33

Reaction score
First post on here, have done quite a bit of reading and have gotten quite a bit of great information so thank you for that.

We're building a new home in western Nebraska. 1,800 square feet with full basement, 4 baths, 3-5 people will be living here. Static water is roughly 30-35'. We're building in a new subdivision (~6 acre lots) and the other homes are being drilled to 80'. We're having a closed loop geothermal system installed. We'll also have underground sprinklers installed at some point as well, which the pump will run.

We received the following quote from our well driller:

140' deep well
4 1/2" schedule 40 casing
4" x 5' Merrill Pitless Unit P+10
Grundfos 10SQE07-200 3/4HP 10GPM 230V Well pump
Constant Pressure Wall Mount
1 1/4" schedule 80 drop pipe with coupling
12/2 W/G pump cable

When I spoke with him on the phone, he said he didn't care what pump & system we wanted to have put in, he'd drop in whatever we wanted, but the system he quoted us was what people typically wanted.

In my reading on here, I am not going to go with the VFD - constant pressure system as he's quoted. Our plan was to go with a 1HP 15 GPM pump and install a large pressure tank (220 gallon equivalent) and have the house on a 40/60 switch.

If we went with the CSV, would our system benefit from having the large pressure tank or would it just be a waste of space & money? What pump would you all recommend?

Thanks,

Ryan

Reach4

Reaction score
If we went with the CSV, would our system benefit from having the large pressure tank or would it just be a waste of space & money?

It would let you get several flushes after the power went out.

You could install a valve around the CSV in case you wanted to experiment-- especially in non-irrigation season. Never read of anybody doing that, but sounds reasonable to me-- not a pro.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A couple of quick thoughts

How much water does the well make?

How big of an area are you going to irrigate? How many zones will there be?

Fishingnerd33

Reaction score
A couple of quick thoughts

How much water does the well make?

How big of an area are you going to irrigate? How many zones will there be?

We haven't drilled it yet, but other wells in the immediate area (300 yards away) are producing 30-50 GPM easily.

Not entirely sure on the yard size that we'd utilize the well to irrigate, but fairly average sized. I was thinking 3 zones for the yard.

Why did you decide against the SQE? You trust him to drill the well and equip it but not on his pump of choice?

I'm not against the SQE, just wanted a bigger model that allows for more GPM flow. According to what I've read, 10 GPM is fine for the house, but if we put the sprinklers on our pressure inside the house would suffer. I was thinking same pump, just beefier to get the 15 GPM. Unless I'm missing something with the CSV that we'd only need a pump with 10 GPM to do the house & yard.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow your logic. A "10 GPM Pump" will pump more or less than 10 gpm, depending on the head. You need to size your pump first for the flow you want at the head you need, then decide if you want to go with a CSV or other.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks