No pressure after freeze, galavnized tank

Users who are viewing this thread

unluckyone

Reaction score
I have a galavnized tank with a submersible well pump. My pipes were frozen for about 2 days. After (I belive repairing any damaged pipes) I can not presurize the system. Here's what I've dont so far.

Open a faucet, attach air compressor to valve on tank. Gauge reads about 30 psi with compressor on and water flows out. I close faucet after water stop flowing but as soon as I dissconnect the compressor the gauge is at 0 psi.?????

So I start the well pump, it does not want to go above 30 psi. I add the air compressor to try to "add pressure"?? and I can get it to about 60 psi, but when I disconnect the air compressor the water seems to come rushing back down into the tank and I'm left with 0 psi.

There are no noticible leaks anywhere. I've even tryed to narrow down and close valves throughout the house making sure theres no leaks.

What can I do?????HELP???

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Saw that you were on line.

I’m not an expert on well pumps, I just own one myself and have experienced a lot of different scenarios with it.
This galvanized tank you have, is it just a storage tank, or is it some kind of a pressure tank. Do you have a jet pump too, along with your submersible pump?

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
One thing I failed to mention when I answered this on another forum was that adding air to the tank is a good idea. However it will not have anything to do with the pumps ability to make pressure.

bob...

unluckyone

Reaction score
I don't have a jet pump, just the submersible that feeds the pressure tank. I'm trying to understand if my sub is nuked would it explain why my system doesn't hold the pressure?

Speedbump

Reaction score
What it really sounds like is your tank is totally waterlogged and you have nuked the pump. This is why it will only make 30 psi.

The other thing it may be is a broken pipe. That would also explain the 30 psi and the water going away.

bob...

unluckyone

Reaction score
Well it looks to me its time for a pro to come in(which I'm not in a shape or form) but I'm still unclear of the conclusion. I will be sure to post what is found.

If waterlogged:
shouldn't openning the faucets and letting water flow out with an air compressor take care of that?

As far as the pump that does get "some" water into my system along with my air comppressor to give it enough pressure to get to 60psi but when I turn off the air compressor (with well pump still going) all the water rushes back into the pressure tank and goes back to 0psi is still a mystery to me.

Thanks for the comments....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pushing water out with an air compressor with a valve open won't pressurize the tank, but it will leave space when you then run the pump so what air is trapped there can be pressurized against the now closed valve. WIth the valve open, it will equalize itself and drop to zero when you disconnect the air feed. Only when you close the valve and turn the pump back on will the pressure return. If the air admittance valve does not seal and hold pressure when the pump runs, as soon as the pump turns off, the pressure will drop.

unluckyone

Reaction score
OK I was able to do some more testing and here it is.

1. The tank is not waterlogged. I opened up the drain and it was completely empty.

2. I ran the submersible well pump and verified it is pumping water (with enough pressure (ie bad pump) I'm not sure, but it is pumping a good amount of water.

3. I shut the valves off compltely that "feed" the house and with the well pump off, tryed to force air into the galvanized tank.

It does not hold pressure, but when I stop the air compressor I hear some water being pushed (like a vacuum effect from the well pump?)

Any other ideas? (I hope)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check valve? or the air make-up valve is leaking? I'm just guessing. One of the pros will have some help. Are you sure that the ice didn't split a pipe or fitting? It might be small and may only show up under pressure.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
OK I was able to do some more testing and here it is.

1. The tank is not waterlogged. I opened up the drain and it was completely empty.
Did you open something else on the tank to let air in while you were trying to let water out. Remember the thumb over the straw routine.

2. I ran the submersible well pump and verified it is pumping water (with enough pressure (ie bad pump) I'm not sure, but it is pumping a good amount of water.
How did you do that, at the well or through a faucet?

3. I shut the valves off completely that "feed" the house and with the well pump off, tried to force air into the galvanized tank.

It does not hold pressure, but when I stop the air compressor I hear some water being pushed (like a vacuum effect from the well pump?)
I'm with Jim, I think you have a bad check valve or a split pipe.
bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks