Stinky dishes, PLEASE HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

Mkaufman

Reaction score
4 years ago we had our kitchen remodeled. It was completely gutted. We put in a brand new Bosch dishwasher and brand new everything else. Since that time, we have an on-again, off-again awful odor on our dishes when they come out of the dishwasher. The only constant I can find is that it usually happens more when we have had a lot of rain. I have tried to EVERYTHING including switching out the AAV, cleaning the dishwasher, bleach in the disposal (sometimes I can smell it coming from the sink), lemons, baking soda, even Thrift. I have had countless plumbers tell me nothing is wrong and the appliance repairman. Unfortunately the dishes smell so bad you can't eat off of them. I am at a complete loss!

Reach4

Reaction score
You don't smell something in the shower?

Does the inside of the dishwasher smell?

If you stopper up the sink drains and put an inch or so of water in the sinks for a while, does the odor go away?

Do your gutters drain away from the house?

Do you have a crawl space?

bosch-drain-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mkaufman

Reaction score
Shower does not smell.

After we run the dishwasher and open it, if the smell is bad u can smell it right away. Throughout the day the inside of the dishwasher does not smell.

Yes, there is no odor when I fill the sink.

Gutters are piped away from house. There is a pipe running directly next to the house right outside of where the dishwasher is.

Yes, we have a crawl space.

Thanks for helping:)

Reach4

Reaction score
Shower does not smell.

After we run the dishwasher and open it, if the smell is bad u can smell it right away. Throughout the day the inside of the dishwasher does not smell.

Yes, there is no odor when I fill the sink.
That is interesting. So as I understand, you get an odor from the dishwasher sometimes when you open it, and not others.

If the dishwasher is closed and there is water in the sink, there is no odor.

My reasons for asking about gutters and crawl space was wondering if something was getting wet under the floor and sending odors up. That would occur despite the sink having water in it. So it would seem that the "water seal" situation is not working, and that sewer gasses are able to work their way up from the sewer. I am not a pro, but am just trying to think it through.

I think a photo of the trap area under the sink would be useful to see if there is something that people could identify as a potential cause of your problem.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What model is your dishwasher ?

You should look in the manual and see how to clean out the Food Grinder.

It may have some dead food in it.

Or it may not be pumping out completely.

Good Luck.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
(sometimes I can smell it coming from the sink) I am at a complete loss!

This might be where the problem is located. A couple photoes of how it is tied into the plumbing and how the drains run under the sink might be helpfull. Does the drain line from the dish-washer loop up to the top of the cabinet?

Mkaufman

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the plumbing under the sink. The thing that traps food in the dishwasher has been cleaned multiple times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Wondering

Reaction score
My sister had the same problem with hers, also a Bosch. She was using the dishwasher tablets but switched to Cascade Powder and also changed cycles, maybe to " Auto" instead of what she was using and she hasnt had an odor since. Maybe that cycle gets hotter I am not sure but that and Cascade fixed hers.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Humidity does affect odor so when it rains and the humidity is higher you may notice the odor more. The picture of the plumbing looks good when I invert the screen. I know above you changed the AAV but they are not all created equal and some cost a lot more than others. I like studor vents. If you have some cheap brand I would change it for a studor mini vent.

Gib

Reaction score
If you ran your hot water only out of faucets and their is no smell follow next suggestion.

Disconnect dishwasher drain hose from food disposal. Cap food disposal outlet opening for dishwasher using hose clamp. 1-1/2" tubular pvc, slip, dishwasher branch tailpiece,(you need to buy) replaces extension piece located between the trap and the food disposal. Run dishwasher.

you should be good.

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I'm no plumber, but two things look wrong to me. To clarify, is the black thing on the right a disposer?

1) The "trap" is upside down making it useless. There appears to be a direct path for sewer gas to enter the dishwasher and sink.
2) The drain from the dishwasher should have either a "high loop" or an air gap depending on your local code, to prevent wastewater from backing up into the dishwasher.

Maybe there is more going on that we can't see from the pictures, without being there its hard to tell.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
We had the same issue with a new Samsung dishwasher. We bought it from a big box store. After researching online there were lots of similar complaints. Ours also never dried dishes thoroughly. Sales guy said it had something to due with the European drying process. He said same complaints from customers with LG and Bosch.

We swapped it out for a Kitchenaid and problem solved. No odor and dishes come out dry.

JR

Mkaufman

Reaction score
I changed it out a couple of days ago. No change to smell though:(

Mkaufman

Reaction score
I changed out the AAV a couple of days ago. Did not affect smell.

Also, after remodel dishwasher was hooked to the PVC below the garbage disposal, we moved it to connect to the garbage disposal to try and cure the smell problem.

Mkaufman

Reaction score
We checked crawl space yesterday. Everything looks to b in good order.

Mkaufman

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. After countless dollars spent and hours of trial and error, this simple solution has helped more than anything else. There is still a slight odor sometimes, but not nearly as bad. Can you please confirm she moved to the "auto" cycle? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thank you!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sometimes taking it out of Power Saving works best.

The unit will heat the water, and work the best.

Auto is normally a Power Saving mode. How it cycles depends on what you tell it you are washing.

If it is on Auto, and you select Pots and Pans, That will be the Hottest water temperature available, Normally. It may also pump the water out and refill a additional time. Does not save water, but works more better. The heating element could melt Cheap Plastic tho.

It is best to wash the dishes before putting them in a automatic dishwasher, Then all is good.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks