sewege pump and ground water leak Suggestions needed

Users who are viewing this thread

dmitriy2014

Reaction score
Hello,

I am facing the following issue and I was wondering if anyone can assist me in this. In my basement I have a sump pump and a sewer pump. The problem is that ground water is leaking not only to the basin where sump pump is but also to the sewer pump (the sewer pump should only have water from the bathroom that is in the basement). There seems to be a small hole or crack in the basin where the sewer pump is installed and through there the ground water is getting in. (the crack is at high point in the basin close to the end of it) Question is this, if I would go and seal that hole what will happen to all that water? Will my basement start flooding or the water that was supposed to enter the sewer pump will go into my sump pump basin?

Basically my concern here is I do not want to block a passage where water is currently going in and create water pressure that will cause the water to come to the surface.

thank you for your help

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The leak is probably the seal where the pipe enters the side of the basin, though I suppose it could have a crack in it. If you open up the basin, then you should be able to see which it is. To replace the seal, a section of pipe will probably need to be removed and replaced, but the basin would not need to come out.

In either case, the job would be a lot more pleasant to do after the ground has had a chance to dry out.

dmitriy2014

Reaction score
The leak is probably the seal where the pipe enters the side of the basin, though I suppose it could have a crack in it. If you open up the basin, then you should be able to see which it is. To replace the seal, a section of pipe will probably need to be removed and replaced, but the basin would not need to come out.

In either case, the job would be a lot more pleasant to do after the ground has had a chance to dry out.

Ok but let's say the basin is fixed where would all this water go? Will it go to my sump pump basin? Basically I am trying to avoid creating a blockage so water would come out.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Assuming there are footing/foundation drains going to the sump pit, one needs to make sure they are not damaged or clogged when the repairs are made. The foundation drainage system is normally bedded in a layer of stone which is easily moved and replaced if need be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks