Cold water line running hot

Users who are viewing this thread

dpw-ct

Reaction score
We have a multifamily 6 story building in New York City. Recently the cold water taps is coming out warm and hot (especially at night). The domestic water is fed from the city into a 3hp pump with pressurized tank. The motor was recently replaced.

I am wondering what can cause this problem. The motor seems to be running more often than the old motor. Checked the tank valve and no water comes out but the air does smell bad.

Any ideas

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are so many possibilities with a "multistory/multifamily" building, that I would not even try to diagnose it without being there. AND, the diagnosis process will be VERY time/labor intensive, (meaning "expensive").

dpw-ct

Reaction score
What I am asking folks to think about is what if anything specifically related to the booster pump (in cellar), cushion tank or motor system could cause this problem. There are only 6 condo unit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A hot water recirculation system may be installed (and is required in some situations) to provide fast arrival of the hot water without having to run it forever. A failed checkvalve could easily allow hot water to mix with the cold. If the pressure on the new booster pump is different, that may have exposed a previously weak, but not noticeable cross-over from a faulty faucet cartridge. Probably other possibilities, which is why you need to be there and play detective.

Gib

Reaction score
Use your by-pass, meaning by-pass your booster pump. Check your cold water see if problem still exist. My suggestion is only for investigating purpose. Whatever you touch put back the way it is. I highly recommend having a plumber do this. If your not familiar with a booster pump set up please leave it to someone who is.

dpw-ct

Reaction score
Interesting - thanks
can you explain how that would work. I should let you know that each tenant has a separate boiler/hot water heater with booster pump. A few tenant experience the hot water in cold line problem. The domestic water pump serves all tenants. How can the hot mix with the cold in this situation

Kiton

Reaction score
Has anyone changed anything in the building?
ie: a new dishwasher, a new hot water heater or anything at all?

dpw-ct

Reaction score
No just the new domestic booster pump, some water heaters (passive connected to boilers) were changes several months ago

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks