Faucet broke

Users who are viewing this thread

leebee

Reaction score
I have a American standard colony series 6 shower diverter

While I was un screwing my faucets the actual head of the faucet broken off

I have purchased a new stem for the diverter but I am reluctant to try and unscrew the rest of the diverter as it looks like to whole thing might be corroded on

any ideas on how to get the old out and put the new in please se attached pic

Attachments

• stem of shower diverter1.jpg
    stem of shower diverter1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,770
  • faucet head4.jpg
    faucet head4.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 353

SHR

Reaction score
It should come out with little problem. I service an apartment complex with dozens of the Colony faucets and have never had a problem removing a stem. Nice thing about the Colony is you do not need special wrenches as the wrench flats on the stem are exposed. After you remove the stem, bring it to your plumbing supply store and have them match it to a new stem and handle.

Be sure to apply silicone grease to the threaded portions of the new stem, the handle splines and handle screw prior to installing it. You will be doing a favor for yourself or the next person who services your valve.

Last edited:

leebee

Reaction score
thanks for the reply as I said I am reluctant to use force as we have tried using flat wrenches to try and remove the stem and as you can see the old splines have broken off in the handle and I am having trouble trying to find a replacement handle any ideas from you on that subject please

SHR

Reaction score
In my area Home Depot stocks both the stems and the handles in the generic Danco brand.

leebee

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I have tried to take this diverter off with a loose wrench as SHR suggested but it will not budge any other ideas I really need to get this diverter out so I can use the shower/tub again this really needs attention ASAP thanks in advance

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The retainer nut will unscrew easily, but pulling the diverter our COULD be a problem. I once had one that took a couple of hours to work it out and remove all the pieces.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How much more advice do you need. You have to REMOVE the diverter and replace it with a new one. That is all the help we can give you unless we come over there and do it for you. As for the piece in the handle, you loosely screw in a "hollow head cap screw" and then drive the stub out with a hammer and drift pin punch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks