Drilling well with river water: safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

foolhardy

Reaction score
I'll be drilling a well in a location that is about a half mile from the nearest water line. It IS, however, next to a river so I'm planning on using a mud pump to pump river water for the drilling process. This well will, eventually, be providing water for an entire homestead, so it will need to be potable ... eventually.

If I use river water to drill the well, will I still be able to disinfect it with bleach or by pumping river water through it am I permanently ruining its potability?

Thank you for your help.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
The reality is yes, you can do fine with river water and get the well disinfected afterwards. I drill with only potable water, but of about a dozen drillers within 75 miles, In only know 2 others that use clean water. Everyone else pulls the water truck over by a stream, pond, or river and gets a load with a trash pump. According to the regs, you can do it, if you properly chlorinate the water first, but no one does. Not sure what the regs are there, but it's probably frowned on. The only other thing to mention, is if it is salt water, most conventional drilling additives won't work....they have some really expensive stuff available, but normal high yield bentonite won't mix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks