Is this really true?

Users who are viewing this thread

gcsherwood

Reaction score
Local water softener guy told me that if I used any water while the softener was regenerating I'd be pulling brine through my system rather than simply hard water (or nothing, which would be fine if the unit simply shut off the flow of water during regeneration). I think my WaterBoss city water filter just gives me hard water (at least I've never noticed any saltiness, and I've never not had water -- to my knowledge, anyway, but I've used one for ten years). I'm looking at a Fleck 7000sxt valve. What does it do while the unit is regenerating?

thanks

geoff sherwood

SHR

Reaction score
The brine statement is BS. Kick him out of your home or run from him. Your WaterBoss has an automatic by-pass valve which allows un-softened water to flow in to the home when the softener is regenerating. That is why the WaterBoss units all have a user programable regeneration time - factory default 2am. For most homes 2am is a low water usage time so maybe you get 3 gallons of hard water into the home system when the toilet is flushed in the middle of the night. No big deal.

Someone else will be along to tell you about the Fleck valve characteristics.

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most all water softeners have an auto bypass while in a regen. You really don't want to be using a lot of water during a regen and that is why it is set for a 2 AM regen.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
All modern softeners bypass hard water during the regeneration process. The 7000 is no exception. Please see the attached drawing below. It shows the water flow path inside the valve during the brine and rinse cycle. All cycles except for brine fill are hard water bypass. The only other type of design that is normally available, but not common in residential applications is no treated water during regeneration. This simply shuts the water off to the outlet of the system during the regeneration process. It is used commonly in commercial applications. Send me a PM, let me know who this guy is. I know a lot of dealers in your area, most are excellent, obviously this one is not.

7000brine.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks