Youngstown Sink Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Gravity

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any past experience removing one of these beasts? Does the countertop detach from the metal base cabinets? That's really my biggest concern. If so, how? I have a guy who wants this for his retro kitchen project so I'd rather not take a sledge to it. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks! SAM_5045.jpg

Gravity

Reaction score
As an update, in case anyone came here looking for answers, I was able to remove this last weekend. Just had to run a utility knife under the sink top to break up the caulking and shimmy it around, I think it pulled forward and I lifted up. Didn't weight more than 75 pounds which was nice. The steel cabinets were not secured to the wall or floor so I just lifted that out with help from someone else, again, not more than 75 pounds maybe. Went way smoother than I thought. There were brackets which looked like they could bolt the top down to the cabinets but that was not the case for me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually, the sink was secured to the cabinet with four bolts. The cabinet and sink came as an assembled unit and you just set it into place and connected it. You were lucky with that one because it used a conventional faucet. The earlier ones used a proprietary backsplash mounted one.

DMNTG

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am having the same issue. I have a client with a vintage Youngstown cabinet and sink who want me to change out the sink. I cannot figure out how to remove the old sink, though, short of pulling the entire cabinet set away from the wall and dismantling the whole thing. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_173615.jpg
    IMG_20191103_173615.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 570

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
First look under the sink to see whether and how it's attached to the cabinet.
From the picture, it looks like the stainless steel brackets around the sink are also holding the sink in place, remove them and maybe you'll find a way to pull the sink out.

DMNTG

Reaction score
First look under the sink to see whether and how it's attached to the cabinet.
From the picture, it looks like the stainless steel brackets around the sink are also holding the sink in place, remove them and maybe you'll find a way to pull the sink out.
Really appreciate your reply. And yes, you're right. However I can't figure out how to remove those SS trim pieces. The same for the SS backsplash. Looking underneath, I did see some screws that are holding the sink down in the frame but it's the trim pieces that have me stumped...and the backsplash.
Thanks!

DMNTG

Reaction score
Also there is a dishwasher to the right and corner cabinet to the left. It looks like the entire assembly was put together away from the wall, and then pushed back against it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks