(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What is it?????

Question What is it?????

Alright all you know-it-all's (no offense intended). This is above the cabinets in my garage. What are they and how do I remove and dispose of them??

[IMG]mounted in garage[/IMG]

[IMG]what is it 3[/IMG]

And how do you post photos again??????????????????????????????????
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by chestnuts; 03-04-2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: photos not showing up

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Default they be filled with fire retardent

they explode when exposed to fire, is a wild guess

OD killer bee eggs

Default things

if you are referring to the two things in the funnels, they are probably "fire extinguishers". Basically light bulbs filled with carbon tetrachloride. I worked in an attic one time and the lady warned me to be careful not to set off the fire protection system. Someone had sold her a bill of goods and had mounted these things along the center of the attic. They were mounted in wire baskets, and about the only way to put out a fire with them would have been to go into the attic and throw them at the fire. If you waited until the fire got them hot to crack the bulbs the building would have burned down. At least yours are in paper cups so they would burn through, fall down, and shatter fairly quickly.

not paper cups. They are in plastic. I cannot get to the screws that they are mounted with. I think they were mounted then the bulbs were put in....
    Anyway, I was going to put sheet rock on that wall above the shelves and noticed them. need to remove them before continuing......

Cool

the first pic is the ac line to the condensor.
    with the cross bracing on the wall tells me its gyplap sheething (3/4 " rock ) probably has asbestos shingle siding. built in the 50"s? truss roof. you shouldn"t have a smoke in the garage. any time you started a car it would go off. kind of like having one next to the stove. man i'm hammered!

I would be suprised if they are carbon tet extinguishers, but they look like them. They stopped making them a long time ago and to my knowlage never used plastic. Always a steel holder and a glass bulb. They did away with them because they put out the fire very well but you died if you breathed in the fumes. If the bulbs are glass then they may be. Do the bulbs come out of the cones? If they do it may be the cones were just handy to place the bulbs in and were not original to the bulbs.
    Last edited by Cass; 03-05-2006 at 04:21 AM.

Default bulbs

The bulbs may just be stuck in the cups, since they were intended to throw at the fire if you were there when it started.

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Default Warning

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON,T PUT THEM IN YOUR LUGGAGE WHEN YOU FLY now that would be interisting