Basket strainers and kitchen sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
When a sink comes with the grey plastic basket strainers, do you guys use them? or use the stainless ones? and when a basket strainer comes with the rubber gasket, do you use that or putty or silicone? and when a kitchen sink comes with the peel foam strip around the sink do you use that or silicone to? and while im at it, the faucet, silicone or putty?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I use whatever the customer furnishes, if I am not supplying the drains. Rubber gasket underneath the sink, but not on top. Faucets often have a gasket seal so you do not need either, but if it doesn't then the counter material would determine whether to use caulk, silicone, or putty. Drop in sinks I use Tub and Tile caulk.

sink-basket-with-putty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I use whatever the customer furnishes, if I am not supplying the drains. Rubber gasket underneath the sink, but not on top. Faucets often have a gasket seal so you do not need either, but if it doesn't then the counter material would determine whether to use caulk, silicone, or putty. Drop in sinks I use Tub and Tile caulk.
I agree with hj, what ever the customer provides, but i do not grantee something i did not provide. I really like very good quality plumber putty on top of the strainer basket, faucets, shower drains , over flows ect. then rubber gaskets underneath. Some times owners have given me very cheap parts that against my wishes that i know will break if i tighten much so then i cover top and bottom with silicone and tighten some and then remove excess then let it sit over night. I have tried to sell them good quality drains but they refused the extra. Silicone can covered a variety of sins.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I like the added insurance of silicone and foam gasket as well.

The bottoms of so many tubs and sinks are too rough.

sink-basket-with-silicone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks