Questions Replacing Clay Sump Basin and Drain Tile

Users who are viewing this thread

John_7951

Reaction score
Naperville, Illinois, Unincorporated DuPage County
This question has a long back story. I'll skip that for now and just ask my questions .....

I want to replace the vitreous clay tile sump pit that I have now with a larger diameter
modern plastic basin. I am also replacing and reconnecting my perimeter drain tile from the
exterior side of the foundation near the sump pit (one wall only). What kind/size of PVC
pipe is normally used to come into the sump pump?

The old exterior drain tile was 4" clay pipe. I'm replacing it with 4" perforated SDR-35. I had
a new addition built. They used ADS Triplewall straightwall perforated 4" pipe. To reconnect
all this back to the sump pit, I had to dig down, under the footing and into the crawl space.
This was after chopping out the concrete and digging an 18" trench from the sump pit in the
crawlspace to the footing.

So now, what should I use to bring the line inside - under the footing and back to the sump pit?
I want to use 4" DWV PVC. I have the various couplers, tee's and elbows - for just about all
the different pipes involved - to tie in from either the ADS or the SDR-35. I just don't want
to use those thinner pipes (non-perforated) to come back into the crawl space. What size
inlet holes are normally provided in sump basins?

Question 2 - I want to put a 24" diameter x 30" deep sump basin in. I only find that size basin
in sewage basins. I assume that's ok but it raises a couple concerns. I probably need to buy a
basin without any inlets and drill my own. Are the fittings/flanges that the manufacturers supply
designed for a particular 4" PVC pipe? Will I have a problem if I use 4" DWV PVC instead of SDR-35
or the ADS pipe?

Also, are there any 24" basins around that have lids available that are not steel? That seems to
be overkill and raises the price somewhat. The Zoellers look good. So do the Topps. Both have
steel lids though.

Thanks for any help or information.

Regards,
John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks