What type of GAC do I use and how much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Uellee

Reaction score
Is there a significant difference between synthetic/catalytic carbon and high activity activated carbon?

I have seen a few different types of carbon for whole home water filtration and I am curious how to know which one to use for what.

I understand that GAC usually only allows about 3GPM per cubic foot. Does this mean that I should look into something larger than 1 cu. ft. or just be satisfied with possibly only moderate removal of contaminates? I do understand chlorine removal (probably my primary goal of the GAC) is still achieved at higher than 3 GPMs per cu. ft.

Also, does GAC remove Haloacetic Acids (HAA5) or Trihalomethanes (TTHM)? The last CCR from my water company maxed out on HAA5 and almost maxed TTHM. :(

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a significant difference between synthetic/catalytic carbon and high activity activated carbon?
Catalytic carbon, such as Centaur Carbon, may not be what you want. Centaur Carbon is what I want for my well, and it works really well in removing my iron and sulfur. I don't know how it would be for removing your organic molecules.

For removing organic chemicals, you want GAC = granulated activated carbon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon#Granular_activated_carbon_.28GAC.29 I would have thought coconut shell would be better, but looking at
http://www.water.siemens.com/SiteCo...s/Westates_Carbon/Brochures/coconutvscoal.pdf Siemens article (who is selling coconut shell GAC) says
Not every application is a good fit for coconut-shell based carbons; applications such as surface water treatment with high background TOC levels, wastewater treatment, decolorization, and the removal of bulky, high molecular weight organics from liquid or air streams tend to favor coal-based carbons.

So I am thinking the coal based may be better for your big organic molecules. http://www.bing.com/search?q="Compa...-Based+Activated+Carbons"&go=&qs=ds&form=QBLH As to how GAC does against specific chemicals, I don't know. Maybe somebody at your water department would know.

I think GAC in some form it is what you want, but I just know what I read.

Misc rambliing...: Regarding how much to use, remember that there is not a hard cut off if your flow is bigger than the flow rating. It is still going to capture much of the things while you temporarily exceed that spec. Think of the available space. The cost is more in installation and the controller. So going to a 1.5 or 2 ft[sup]3[/sup] is not going to raise the price proportionally. Yet 1 ft[sup]3[/sup] will do wonders and take out way much more than the little filters that some use. In short, I don't know which you should use. Since the replacement media is often sold in 1 ft[sup]3[/sup] bags, 1 or 2 ft[sup]3[/sup] units would match better when you replace your media in 7 years.

Last edited:

Uellee

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback!

I got really busy with work last spring and through the summer but now that the holidays are all over I'm back to putting a filtration plan into action.

I have had a problem with most of the local filtration companies I have spoken with, their prices just seem so astronomically high for the relatively simple products they are selling.

If anybody has any personal experience with any companies that ship within the 48 states maybe you could PM me and recommend a reputable one or give me a couple pointers how I may go about finding a decent local place to get parts so I can put something together. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks