Proper setup for double sink plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

samohtep

Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought this would just be a quick and easy job, but the more I look into it, the less I know how I should do this. I want to remove the garbage disposal from my kitchen sink. I posted a picture to another forum asking whether I needed p-traps on both drains. The current setup is a two bowl sink, garbage disposal on the left drain, and dishwasher hose connected to the disposal. There's a P-Trap from the disposal to the drain from the right bowl, then a goofy looped S-Trap where the outlet drops through the floor to the cleanout in the basement. The house is 90 years old and while the pipes aren't, they seem to have been pretty cobbled together over the years.

Sink_Plumbing_1.jpg

Sink_Plumbing_2.jpg

The first response said 2 traps weren't needed, the second response but said I needed a vent.
The second response confirmed 1 trap and vent, then explained the S-trap at the floor line.
I called the town code enforcement office today and he advised me to check the New York State code.

Also, I contacted a local plumber about the work, including a photo and here's the response:

"It sounds like you r not having any problems with draining or venting
**s-traps are ok to use and we still sell them. *If you are *remolding *them you might want to replum in PVC pipe with proper venting ."

Sooo, yeah, I don't think I'll be trusting them to do it…

The difficult bit that I keep coming back too is that the drop through the floor is only offset an inch or so from being directly beneath the right bowl. If it helps, I'll post a few better photos when I get home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The disposer does NOT need that trap, but the "S" trap has to go. In order to reconnect the sink without the disposer, (NOT a "Disposal"), you need a continuous waste horizontal pipe, a flanged tailpiece out of the new sink drain fitting, and a dishwasher connection tailpiece between the strainer's tailpiece and the waste pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would like to see the disposer plumbed to a tee below the right sink. Also an AAV on the line coming up from the floor.
If you need to offset on the vertical, that's fine.

The dishwasher line should be strapped as high as you can in the cabinet before it enters the disposer, or install with an air-gap.

The rest of the country quit doing S-traps decades ago. If I were New York, I wouldn't be bragging.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, the NYC metro area doesn't seem to worry much about air gaps or high-loops on the dishwasher installs. In fact, when we had one installed recently, I suggested an air gap.

"A what?"

Great. They did know what a high loop was, but insisted it wasn't required. Swell. Do it anyway.

I know for a fact, however, that an S-trap isn't going to be permitted.

samohtep

Reaction score
Thanks all, for the correction.
Based on the comments, I put this together. (Grey existing, Red new)

Plumbing_Diagram.jpg

Is it completely insane? As I mentioned, the drop through the floor, is almost directly below the right basin, maybe an inch closer the the face of the cabinet and an inch to the right. Any corrections?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks