copper stub ells into shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Didymus21

Reaction score
Had extra propex copper stubs. Does this seem like a reasonable use of them? Anyone see a problem with this? My other thought was to solder a propex Fitting to a 90 deg street, or something to that effect.

Picture is below.

Last edited:

Didymus21

Reaction score
It'd probably help if I attached the picture.

IMG_20140326_185213_614.jpg

Last edited:

SHR

Reaction score
Expensive, but a great idea! Those will work good and help your install look great.

You soldered all of your joints to the rough-in valve so neatly that I can not even see any solder around the joint. Boy, you are good.

Last edited:

Didymus21

Reaction score
You soldered all of your joints to the rough-in valve so neatly that I can not even see any solder around the joint. Boy, you are good.

Oh boy, wish I could accept that compliment! I actually haven't soldered anything yet...wanted to make sure it was a sound idea first. Thanks for the feedback.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I realize you had those ells on hand, so good idea to use them. Most of us just use short nipples, threaded adapter, and regular elbows. They aren't pretty, but hidden behind walls so pretty really doesn't count.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Most of us just use short nipples, threaded adapter, and regular elbows.

I guess I am NOT 'most of us', because I would NEVER use a threaded connection when the valve has sweat joint capability. I was going to comment that there might not be enough solder on the joints to have made a good seal, until you stated that they were not soldered yet.

SHR

Reaction score
I kinda figured that but could not resist the comment. That should end up being a nice install.

I also never use threaded adaptors anymore on shower valves with solder connections available. When asked, most people I talk to about using the threaded adaptors say they use them in order to make the valve easier to remove if necessary. But in order to remove the threaded connections you still have to cut the copper...so nothing gained by the adaptors except more potential for leaks. As long as all plastic parts are removed from the rough-in valve it is just a really big fitting.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not to start a war on this, and I certainly yield to HJ's experience and expertise, but I use the threaded adapters into valve bodies to avoid possible damage to the valve. Now, I'm a DIY and while I have never had a solder joint fail, I do not rate myself anywhere near a professional, and perhaps I'm being overly concerned about this. So, by all means if you are comfortable with soldering the pipe into the valve, do it.

Didymus21

Reaction score
That works for me! :)

I do have one concern. The ells have a decent amount of play in the valve, while the vertical shower head portion does not. Do I need to be concerned about that? I know soldering will fill the gaps and tighten the joint, but would you consider that a weakened joint?

I think I cut the ells too short, and due to the bend, I'm entering the smaller diameter part of the stub. I'd really appreciate feedback on this.

If need be, I wouldn't hesitate to scrap them and re-do it.

Last edited:

DaveHo

Reaction score
That's the exact configuration I used for my shower valves. I didn't trim the Propex ells & don't recall them feeling loose in the rough in body. They've been in service for more than a year now. No issues. You using propane or MAPP? I have a MAPP torch & it still took a bit of time to get the valve body hot enough to sweat properly. I don't think I'd try it with propane.

Didymus21

Reaction score
[video=youtube;sWQTHaHuods]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQTHaHuods&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Here's a video showing what I mean.

DaveHo

Reaction score
That looks extremely loose. Do you still have the pieces you cut off? How much play do those have? How much play in the shower head pipe?

Didymus21

Reaction score
That looks extremely loose. Do you still have the pieces you cut off? How much play do those have? How much play in the shower head pipe?

I do still have the pieces I cut off and when inserted they don't have nearly as much play. The shower head pipe has little to none.

I think I probably blew it on those and will need to cut new pipe. I may be able to reuse them for a fixture if there is enough tip to still go through some drywall. Oh well, lesson learned.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I do still have the pieces I cut off and when inserted they don't have nearly as much play. The shower head pipe has little to none.

I think I probably blew it on those and will need to cut new pipe. I may be able to reuse them for a fixture if there is enough tip to still go through some drywall. Oh well, lesson learned.
yup, live and learn; we all do it one time or another. repeat, repeat.............

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might try the v-shaped inside pipe shaping bit on most pipe cutters...it may reform the end enough to give you a tighter fit.

Didymus21

Reaction score
Good suggestion, I tried and it didn't make much of a difference. I ended up just buying two street 90's and a male fitting that will couple the 90's with my propex lines. Much better joint!

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
that is loose, but your joints look pro, i dont think you will ever have a problem, it will def last till next reno. If u cleaned flux ur good. but all pipe that is bend like that thins the copper faster cause of streching

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks