Water Softener Setup Validation

Users who are viewing this thread

bymyhand

Reaction score
Hello, can you please help me validate my softener setup?

Water Info:
Located in Connecticut
2x adults and 2x children living in the house
50/70 switch / constant @ 60 PSI
10 GPM max flow rate (installing new Cycle Stop system so the actual flow will depend on usage)
5.5 GPM recovery rate on the well
4.4 gal tank
No Iron
PH: 7.6
Hardness: 141
Manganese: .1
Hot water is on demand and goes through the oil furnace.
Sulfur smell only in the warmer months / dissipates after faucet runs for a bit / since it’s still cold out, I am not sure how it compares to hot or cold water temps.
Current Pentek C1 10 x 2.5 works for 2 to 3 months at 4 GPM until smells comes back.

Reason for getting a softener:

I would like lower my hardness level, and remove the Manganese. I know softeners can remove some Manganese but will it be enough to lower the level from .1 to .05? I would also like to remove the sulfur smell from the water but I do not know what concentration it currently is at.

Proposed Softener:

Fleck 5600-SXT
32k grain
11 GPM flow rating
6 to 7 GPM backwash requirement for 30 minutes
1 Cu. Ft. of resin

Proposed filter:

Pentek BIG CLEAR – 166201 -20 GPM at 1 psi
Pentek NCP-20BB filter – 10 GPM at 1 psi

The filter would be put before the softener to protect it from the sulfur and remove the smell. I am thinking the filter to see how bad the situation is. IE How long will I be able to go between replacing filters. I have been quoted 2k plus for other systems and they have other maintenance or high backwash requirements. I just thought it would be a minimal investment to see how well it worked but I could be going in the wrong direction here too.

Can you please let me know your impression on the whole setup, putting the filter before the softener, or if you think a softener will be able to remove .1 to .05 ppm of Manganese? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The manganese has to be oxidized on order to filter it out. An oxidation/filtration media or chlorination system is needed to remove it. If it has already been oxidized, than the filter will remove it.

bymyhand

Reaction score
What about something like the below item? To good to be true? I understand it would not work for high contents but my Manganese number does not seem that high. Maybe I am wrong here.

Iron-Sulfur-Pro-3-Water-Softener-5600SXT-32k-KDF

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless there is an oxidizing media (pyrolox, filox or mtm) in the system, I don't see it reducing the manganese. I've only had 1 customer with manganese. A BIRM filter was installed (which is an oxidizing media) but he still had complaints from his wife. To solve his problem, we installed a chlorination system. No more complaints from the wife.

bymyhand

Reaction score
This is where I was getting the info from:

Ion exchange water softeners
Conventional water softeners are sometimes effective for removing dissolved iron and manganese concentrations of approximately 5 mg/L or less from water. Iron and manganese removal is accomplished in the same way as calcium and magnesium (hardness) removal in water by an exchange process. Iron and manganese are exchanged with sodium on the ion exchange resin. For more information on ion exchange see NebGuide G1491, Drinking Water Treatment: Water Softening (Ion Exchange). The iron and manganese are then removed from the softener resin bed through backwashing and regeneration. How efficiently softeners remove iron and manganese will vary depending on the iron concentration, water hardness, and pH. It is important to check the manufacturer’s maximum iron removal level recommendations, which typically range from 1 to 5 mg/L, before purchasing a unit. The softeners will be clogged if levels of oxidized or dissolved iron exceed the manufacturer’s recommended level. Some vendors recommend using special softener salt that contains additives (e.g., food-grade acids) that remove accumulated iron from the resin during regeneration. Also, not all water softeners are able to remove iron and manganese from water, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s specifications.

One of the major difficulties with ion exchange for controlling iron and manganese is that if any oxidation occurs during the process, the resulting precipitate can coat and foul the ion exchange media. Thus, it is important that the raw water should not come in contact with any oxidizing agent like air and chlorine before entering the softener. If oxidized iron and manganese are present in raw water, filtration should be used for the removal.

Source:

www(.)ianrpubs(.)unl(.)edu/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=799

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks