Is it kosher to junction a 240 line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Erico

Reaction score
I'm moving the wall oven location from one side of the room to the other. This will be a new oven.

Currently, the old oven is hard wired (not plugged) to a junction box behind the oven --- on a 30 amp breaker. Red/black/white/bare.

I'm wondering if I can just move that junction under the floor (attach to the basement ceiling), junction it and extend the line 15 feet over to the new location. Or do I have to home-run it?

Trying to avoid messing around in the breaker box.

What wire size am I going to be looking at for a 30 amp breaker? I need to get out the magnifying glass and see what's there now. So far, I can't make out markings on the cable if it is 10 or 8 nmc.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
What is the rating on the new oven?

There is nothing wrong with making splices in a junction box.

If the wire feeding the oven is solid it most likely is 10AWG. The only way to know for sure is to get somebody that knows what's what to look at it.

Erico

Reaction score
This thing was bought at Sears outlet and doesn't have a box and the manuals are generic to several wattages but....

It looks like I have to upgrade to a 40 amp breaker and 8 gage wire which means an electrician will be called.

Question, I'm worried about space in the box, will a 40 be larger or will it fit in the same space?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each electrical box size determines the number and gauge of wire connections it will handle...look up box fill requirements. It may be the existing box would have been too small to allow a splice there, but its size and knowing the fill ratio would tell you for sure.

And, yes, 8g wire will likely be thicker than 10g, but it depends on the type of insulation that is used - some are thicker than others, and they could end up (nearly) the same size.

Erico

Reaction score
It looks like it is going to be a brand new home run back to the service panel. No splice. I used the wrong phrase. I meant will a 40 amp breaker take up the same space on the service panel as a 30 amp?

GaryB25

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a union electrician in the Chicago area.
A 40 amp 240 volt breaker is the same physical size as a 30 amp 240 volt breaker. The wire size you need will be 8 gauge THHN wire. THHN is the type of insulation. This can be spliced in a 4"x4" junction box or bigger using blue wirenuts. You should check the manual or the oven itself to see if a neutral(white wire) and ground(green wire) are needed. You should not take the cord from the oven and run it through the floor to the basement ceiling as that is usually against municipal codes.
Hope this helps.

Erico

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm helping my buddy in michigan - I'm not used to dealing with ROMEX®. Or electric ovens for that matter.

The old oven had a deep 4 inch box junction mounted to the back of the oven cabinet and had a whip to the oven. That was my plan for this.

The old oven wasn't that old and had the red/red black/black white/white bare/bare set up. My plan was to mimic that but I think I'm calling an electrician

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks