water well packer stuck in deep well

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My older Well Vue camera is 1&5/8" in diameter, so it will fit in 2" pipe. The downside is that if the water is murky you won't see anything

Reach4

Reaction score
The OP described a two pipe system to the wellhead.
My mistake. huge_deep1jet.png

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Would not do much good to get a camera view. What is to repair , if you find the leak ?

If the pipe is rusted thru then most likely a new well is in order.

You may get lucky and pull the old casing out, but it will most likely break before you get it all out.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's pressure only as long as the pump can sustain prime. Once the hole gets bigger than the pump can handle it will no longer pump and then sand/sediment/shallow water will enter the casing. It will act like a bad footvalve if there is a small leak.

The casing is the pressure side of a two pipe system, so wonder how a hole in the casing above the packer would play out. That's not to say that sediment didn't enter from below the packer and then settled above the leathers.

Would a downhole camera fit down a 2" casing?

I've never seen a camera lowered into a 2" well but always wanted to.
My older Well Vue camera is 1&5/8" in diameter, so it will fit in 2" pipe. The downside is that if the water is murky you won't see anything

Good drawing. Exactly how it works.
Exactly. There is almost nothing you can do to repair the leak and even the few things are temporary. Once a hole develops there is another coming.
Would not do much good to get a camera view. What is to repair , if you find the leak ?

If the pipe is rusted thru then most likely a new well is in order.

You may get lucky and pull the old casing out, but it will most likely break before you get it all out.

briqn29001

Reaction score
Thank each and every one of you. I was able to get the jet out today. I was also being curious and install a single pipe with a foot a valve inside the well casing and pumped it manually and the water is still dark colored (almost black). Will a hole in the casing cause dark (black)colored water and can i add chlorine inside the well and it clear the water again?

briqn29001

Reaction score
we found that the injector was clogged with silky like material so i'm going to put it back together tomorrow and see what happens. I'm praying that the water will be at least clean enough to wash clothes with until the new well can be installed.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there any sand/sediment coming out? If you are pumping shallow well style you don't need the packer jet in the well. Swap to a single pipe shallow well set-up.

Also I would drop some chlorine tablets in the well (made for WW), let it sit, and then pump it out. It would be good to blow it with an air compressor but you need a fairly large one. I use a 7 HP gas on wells like yours.

we found that the injector was clogged with silky like material so i'm going to put it back together tomorrow and see what happens. I'm praying that the water will be at least clean enough to wash clothes with until the new well can be installed.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It would be good to blow it with an air compressor but you need a fairly large one. I use a 7 HP gas on wells like yours.

How would one do that ? Do you pressurize the casing ? Or the Suction pipe ?

Or is that a Trade Secret ?

Changing over may be easy, But that pump may not be easily convertible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks