Moving laundry drain

Users who are viewing this thread

DanInCT

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -- found a lot of great info here already lurking, but now am on a project that is worth asking about. Appreciate your time.

I've attached a photo of the current setup... and the drain. The issue is that the previous owner had the drain connection pipe in the room, rather than in the studs. And I think the drain is not a proper p trap (is that accurate?).

I'd like to relocate the pipe into the wall and hook it up to a proper washer outlet box to make it look nicer.

I've never messed with drain plumbing (only water pipes). Is this something that is fairly easy to tackle? Looks like I should cut the joint out. Replace it with a 2" p trap'ed drain pipe into the 1 1/2" to 2" connector and into the 2" vent.

Good plan?

Thanks!

drain.jpg
wall.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think you might have trouble fitting the trap in between the studs if you just turn it. Looks like the drain is 2" and the vent is 1-1/2, which is fine. You could cut off the sanitary tee and offset the line to the left with a pair of 1/8th bends below the new sanitary tee and trap, then you will need another pair of bends to re-align the vent.

DanInCT

Reaction score
Thank you. So 1/8th is ok on the vent? That will jog it to the left (according to picture) and closer to the interior stud. Then connect the trap and then further up 1/8" back to the original vent location. Got it.

Does it matter how far I go between the 1/8"? Should I have any minimum distance?

DanInCT

Reaction score
What connection do I use for the washer outlet box water supply fitting? It has a screw male plug, but the 1/2" copper can go inside it as well. Do I solder the 1/2" into it or is there an attachment to the copper that then screws onto it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Either one will work. If you aren't great at soldering, you may want to install a female threaded fitting on the end of the pipe, then screw it on with some pipe dope or tape. Then, the rest of the soldering you do would be away from the plastic, and you'd have less chance of melting or burning it. If your soldering technique is good, you could solder it. IF that fitting comes out of the box, you could do that, solder it, then reinstall.

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
hmmm

Either one will work. If you aren't great at soldering, you may want to install a female threaded fitting on the end of the pipe, then screw it on with some pipe dope or tape. Then, the rest of the soldering you do would be away from the plastic, and you'd have less chance of melting or burning it. If your soldering technique is good, you could solder it. IF that fitting comes out of the box, you could do that, solder it, then reinstall.

some of those fittings off the box have a running tread

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks