GE Smartwater Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
I have a 50gal GE water heater that has developed a leak where the hot water line exits the top of the tank. There is a little depression where the fitting connects and it's full of water. I tried putting a wrench on it to tighten the fitting but could not budge it. It appears to be tight.

Is this a sign of needing a new water heater? This one is 10 years old.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not necessarily, if the leak comes from the flex connector's nut. Could be a worn out washer inside.

SHR

Reaction score
If you have a flexible supply line on the hot water outlet, as dj2 noted, try to tighten the connection nut and see if it helps. If not and you see water coming from where the nut is, shut off the water and remove the hot water outlet connector. Check to make sure the rubber washer is in the end of the nut and looks to be in good shape. Re-install the supply line and check for leaks.

If the above did not fix your leak or if you have rigid pipe connected to the water heater hot outlet, it would then appear the tank is rusted out at the connection. Change out the water heater. It stinks but 10 years is not an unusual life span for a water heater.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I took a better look at it and it appears the flex connector has rusted to the point that it is leaking. I have my plumber coming out this afternoon to replace the line.

It must have had a small leak for a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks