Well Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

tyler94

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a well pump and a way to power it in a 600 ft-deep well that is located 150 feet away from the house to supply water for six people. The pump should be capable of creating a pressure of at least 80 PSI on the upper level of the house. I am the amateur of all amateur's when it comes to this kind of stuff so all help and input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tyler

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What is the the static water level? What is the GPM the well can produce and what level does it draw down to?

tyler94

Reaction score
What is the the static water level? What is the GPM the well can produce and what level does it draw down to?

This is for a school project so nothing is really specified except for the information I have given. The project is to heat and power a house and give water that is completely off the grid. And we are given this predug well and we have to get it to the house.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is for a school project so nothing is really specified except for the information I have given. The project is to heat and power a house and give water that is completely off the grid. And we are given this predug well and we have to get it to the house.

Don't know the static or recovery? Toss. 1/2hp. 7 gpm down there. Be fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for "pump curves". Learn to convert 80 PSI to "head" to add to the other factors. nhmaster3015
was joking. Search for "solar powered pump"

tyler94

Reaction score
Okay, so I have converted PSI to feet of head and I got about 184.5. So where do I go from here? How do I know which well pump will give me this?
Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
184' is the same as the 80 PSI that you need. But you have to add the depth to the pumping level of the well. If you don't have a well test and know the pumping level, you will need to add 600' to the 184', because your well is 600' deep. If that is the case you need a pump that will produce 784' of head. I would say you need about 10 GPM for a house with 6 people, so you need a pump that can do 10 GPM from 784'. A 3 horsepower, 10 GPM pump will deliver about 8 GPM from that depth and pressure. A 7 GPM, 2HP will give you about 6 GPM from that depth.

tyler94

Reaction score
184' is the same as the 80 PSI that you need. But you have to add the depth to the pumping level of the well. If you don't have a well test and know the pumping level, you will need to add 600' to the 184', because your well is 600' deep. If that is the case you need a pump that will produce 784' of head. I would say you need about 10 GPM for a house with 6 people, so you need a pump that can do 10 GPM from 784'. A 3 horsepower, 10 GPM pump will deliver about 8 GPM from that depth and pressure. A 7 GPM, 2HP will give you about 6 GPM from that depth.

The well is also located 150 ft away from the house, does that needed to be accounted for also? so would I need a pump that will produce 934' of head?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Horizontal distance only adds friction loss depending on the size of the pipe. Unless it is really small pipe you shouldn't need to add more than 10' or 20' to the total head. So that would make your TDH or total dynamic head about 800'.

If you knew the actual pumping level you might be able to set the pump much more shallow and use a smaller pump. Sometimes the pump may only be set at 200' or so in a 600' deep well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks