broken terra cotta ....

Users who are viewing this thread

JR

Reaction score
I accidently broke through a terra cotta French drain line that led to a sump pump on the outside of my house ...LONG story ...I'll spare you the detail ...its not pretty. I have a new sewage line that now is running right through the break , so the water from the french drain has no where to go, but inside my house (throught the foundation/walls ). The Sump Pump no loner exists for the water to go to. How can I connect a terra cotta into the PVC pipe that is now running throught the french drain. The Terra cotta is just Ceramic tile with sand and gravel and I need to connect it into this new PVC type line. Did I mention a Friend got me into this mess!! How can it be done?? HELP!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Please explain further. Are you trying to drain ground water into your sewer? That's backwards!

JR

Reaction score
Terra Cotta

Thats what I was trying to do , but I was told that I can't run the french drain into my new line......at this point I'm going to have to fix my terra cotta line to get the water back to the original sump pump for now . The sump pump is actually outside .Can you go from terra cotta to a pvc type pipe and back to a terra cotta ?

The Pipe Rat

Reaction score
They make a rubber boot to go from CLAY PIPE (Terra Cotta?) to PVC. In our area it is called a Fernco coupling. It is a rubber boot with a SS clamp on each end.

JR

Reaction score
terra cotta

I think the french drain was made of "C" shaped tiles that are staggered upon each other in the run...I dont think its a pipe type of terra cotta that I could easily attach a fernco coupling. Does a "C" tile sound right to you? My house was built in 1958 ...is there such a thing as C shaped tiles?

The Pipe Rat

Reaction score
The pipe I was talking about is completly different. Yours has no bottom??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

What part of "You cannot do it", "You do not really want to do it", and "It would be the worst idea you ever had" don't you understand. Connecting the French drain into the PVC pipe will give the sewage a new place to go, (into the ground around your house), rather than to the sewer. The French drain piping has to go back to the pump pit and you have to reinstall the pump.

JR

Reaction score
Terra cotta

HJ..... If you would of read my response in #3 , you will see that "I am trying to go back to my original pump"..... and I understand what Jimbo was saying to me . So...with that said .....I have a section of about 2ft that I have to repair in some way or another for the water to get back to my pump..... Unfortunetly I couldnt tell if the terra cotta that I broke through was some type of "C" shaped tile or if it was a pipe. I'm sure that when I dig again I can just look at it and see , but I wanted to have a plan before I did that. I can purchase the Fernco if indeed it is a pipe ....but if its this type of "C" shape tile that I invision it to be .....what can I use to repair it?

My questions:

1. Was there ever a "C" shape tile made back in the 50's / 60's ?
2. What do I use to repair my broken section if it is that type of tile?

Any help would be appreciated .....Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks