Fernco Donut Tight-ness question (maybe too loose?)

Users who are viewing this thread

thenextdon13

Reaction score
Hello-
I've read a lot here about people having trouble installing the donuts because of tightness. I'm a little concerned about the one I installed over looseness;

questions are--
1. how loose can the donut be in the hub before the pipe is inserted?
2. how easy should it be to insert the ABS pipe?
3. how much should I worry about corrosion pitting in the hub from the previous (poor) lead job?

for #1 -- I could insert the donut into the hub, and remove it relatively easily. The ribs of the donut caught a little bit on the outer rim of the hub, but not enough to make it hard or damage it on removal. When the pipe was pushed in, the outer lip of the donut wanted to roll into the gap, but did not (see picture) Is this ok?

Pipe_In_Donut_In_Hub_Fittment.jpg

For #2 -- I soaped it up and worked it in relatively easily. Two hands and twisting but over my head as well.

For #3 -- I cleaned out the hub with a wire brush first, then sanded with emery cloth. I would not be able to get rid of all pitting. Attached are a few pictures to show state. Does this look ok?

Pitting_Inside_Hub_1.jpg
Pitting_Inside_Hub_2.jpg

I'd like to have some input before I continue with ABS-- would like to avoid having to re-do this. I am aware fernco makes custom sizes if one is needed.
Any input appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks like a good fit there.

The rubber Fernco is a bit loose until you push the pipe in. Then it should be snug.

fernco-donut-terrylove-01.jpg

hub-end-donut-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks