Reaction score
Yes. Post #4 on the thread.

I guess I missed something.

HUA.jpg

Can you please hand me a Flashlight ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe in summary...if the device does not need neutral - you do not need to run one! But, you might want to consider it in case you ever changed the thing to something that DID need one.

If the device DOES need a neutral, you CANNOT run a new branch and use the ground wire as the neutral or use the neutral as the ground - you must run a 4-wire cable. The draw of the appliance would determine the size of the breaker and wire to it.

Houptee

Reaction score
I don't think they will pass a new 220v branch circuit that is not run with a insulated neutral anymore, regardless of what you plan to connect it to they want that neutral wire in the box.
They wont even let you run a light switch loop off a ceiling box using NM 2 anymore, they want it run with NM 3, so the neutral wire is there even if not being used. The logic is in case someone taps off that switch box in the future they wouldn't have a insulated neutral to tie into only the bare ground.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I don't think they will pass a new 220v branch circuit that is not run with a insulated neutral anymore, regardless of what you plan to connect it to

Then a lot of water heaters and AC units are being installed improperly, because I have NEVER seen a neutral on those items.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks