Basin Wrench Alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

andreseng

Reaction score
I am trying to find an alternative for a basin wrench. I am attempting to install a widespread Moen Caldwell CA84440SRN faucet MOEN LINK to a Kohler pedestal sink KOHLER LINK.

The Moen uses a valve that secures to the top with a "C Clip" and a nut on the underside. I am having one hell of a time getting the nuts tight. The basin wrench is too large for the area. To aggravate the situation, the threads on the valve are about 1 inch in diameter on the top portion making the nut quite a bit larger and there is a nozzle for the mixer hose that also comes off each valve.

Any insight, tips, hints, tricks, alternative tools would be greatly appreciated.

basin-wrench-ridgid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SHR

Reaction score
Pedestal sink repairs are a pain. Uninstall the sink, install the faucet and re-install the sink. Lots of work but welcome to pedestal sink repair! I always charge extra for work on pedestal sink repair. Sometimes clients question the quote but now you too know why the repair cost is more expensive.

andreseng

Reaction score
I guess I failed to mention that this is a new installation and the sink is not mounted to the wall and the clearance is still an issue...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ridgid makes a red plastic "wrench" that takes the place of a basin wrench for many applications, but I do not know if one of its options is large enough for that nut.

andreseng

Reaction score
Basin Buddy and Rigid plastic are too small for these nuts. I believe the thread is about 1 inch...it eventually hits a connection for the mixer hose than transforms to normal 1/2 inch for the supply hook up...

Reach4

Reaction score
So you are trying to tighten nut F, and a crow's foot won't fit? huge.PNG
Could you pre-install the nuts before inserting into the holes and do the tightening from above?

I think that may be what they are suggesting when they say
Thread lower mounting nuts (F) onto the hot and cold valve bodies (N & G) far enough to allow the valve body clip groove to be 1/2” above the sink surface.
Place lower mounting washers (E) onto each valve body (N & G).

Last edited:

andreseng

Reaction score
Actually I have not tried a crows foot. I was trying to use a basin wrench. I guess it's possible a crows foot might make it. And I did pre-install the nuts as per the instructions. Due to the clip (not a nut) on top, there is no way to tighten from above...

SHR

Reaction score
Your faucet is designed to tighten from the top. Rimove the clips you mention and re-install them on the top of the sink after you get the faucet height correct. Install the nuts for underneath the sink prior to inserting the faucet body in to the sink holes. The position of these underneath nuts is a trial and error deal. Set both hot and cold side nuts at the same position, insert the faucet body in to sink holes and check if the height of the stems coming out the top of the sink is correct, allowing you to install the top trim. If not, remove and adjust height, try again until the height is correct. You will not need to use a basin wrench for this faucet.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
it is a poor practice to install a faucet and use the trim to secure the valves in position. Once the clips are installed the nut MUST be tightened to secure the valves in place. Sometimes you can "spin" the valves in the clips to tighten the nuts, but it takes some trial and error to get them aligned properly doing it that way. One of the "adapters" in the Ridgid tool is like the "basin buddy", but it has others also, plus it can be used without the adapters, depending on what you are tightening.

andreseng

Reaction score
Check out item G in the illustration above. There are nozzles extending from the valve for the mixer hose. I think this would make the basin buddy impossible to get up to the top where the nut is located. Remember too that the valve is 1 inch at the top. Do they even make a basin buddy that large? This also prevents you from spinning. I wish I had bought a different style. But I am stuck. All the other fixtures are of this same Moen style...

As far as tightening from above, I can't see how this would possibly work. The c clips are already snug up against item D in the illustration above and yet they still move. It has to be done from below.

I am very appreciative of everyone's thoughts. Please don't read any of my responses as criticism. They are not.

Please keep your thoughts, hints, tips etc. coming.

Many thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
How much wiggle is there still in item G? If very little, maybe it will all be good when the top hardware is in place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF there is room to for the spout connections to rotate under the sink the valves WILL rotate and tighten against item "D". But if they do not tighten at the correct orientation, you will have to loosen them and reposition them before trying again.

andreseng

Reaction score
Found these at Sears. This is probably the only way given the combination of this faucet and sink. Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Much appreciated.
20140315_162739.jpg
20140315_165928.jpg
20140315_165657.jpg
Now on to the real fun. Hooking up the tail piece to the waste...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks