Bathroom exhaust fan venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Jman2012a

Reaction score
I am installing an exhaust fan in a 1st floor bathroom and I am trying to decide on the exterior vent to use. Based on where the bathroom is and what it would take to vent through the roof, that route is not feasible due to its location. As a result, I plant to run the 4 in vent pipe parallel in the floor joist to the side of the house. The 2nd floor of the house overhangs the first floor right where I am putting the vent. For clarity there are no air intakes on the overhang as the 2nd floor bedroom overhangs the 1st floor bathroom. I want to have as low of a profile exhaust vent as possible. Is it OK to put the straight down vent (see below)? I would really like this one as you will not be able to see it while looking at the house. Or do I need to but the side vent (see below)?

Attachments

• Bathroom Vent.PNG
    Bathroom Vent.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 391

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Venting the exhaust downward will result in moisture-laden air accumulating on the underside of the overhang, and said moist air will eventually lead to rot and/or mold growth in any wood in that area. Vent the fan directly out of the side of the house, and paint the exhaust hood to match the siding if you want to disguise the exhaust hood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks