Can't budge valve feeding water to washing machine

Users who are viewing this thread

Tzed

Reaction score
We are replacing our washing machine and need to disconnect the old one before the new one arrives. I need to turn off the shown valve so that I can then remove the attachment on the bottom, pointed to in the second photo. I can't budge the valve *at all*. It's possible it hasn't been turned in 15 years. I've soaked it in WD-40 over a couple days, without obvious progress. I was able to turn off the other valve relatively easily. Thoughts? photo1.jpgphoto2.JPG

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
My guess is that is the Hot water ?

It looks like it needs to be replaced.

Good Luck on your project. Welcome to Terry's forum.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure if loosening the "bonnet" on the valve would break it loose so it would turn if you used pliers on it, but I have a feeling that your hose is NOT going to come off easily either. I would shut the water off to the building and replace both valves.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
They make some nice valves now that only have to be turned 1/4 of a turn to open and close. Washer hoses should also be replaced every few years, as they are one of the largest causes of homes being flooded when they fail. Some new valves and hoses would make your new washer installation complete.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I would shut off the water main. get two pipe wrenches equal size and unscrew both hot and cold shut off taps. the go to the store and buy two new ones, put on teflon tape and screw in the new ones.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not the answer to the problem, but for general information. WD-40 is not a penetrating oil. One of the best penetrating product is called PB Blaster. I thing the best thing for your immediate problem is to replace the valves with quarter turn style.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, it really is a good idea to shut those valves off in between WM uses. You might want to consider replacing both valves with a dedicated WM shutoff valve...that makes it easier to shut both off since it typically has one lever that shuts both supplies off at the same time. All it takes is one time when a hose breaks. And, while your at it, consider using mini hammer arrestors there - it takes some of the stress off of the hoses and can quiet things down a bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks