Kitchen sink venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

n2brk

Reaction score
this is a really odd one, and I am in need of some advice...

First, the pictures:

IMG_0898[1].jpgIMG_0899[1].jpg

I demo'd my Mom's first-floor laundry room and her kitchen. The LR is becoming closet space, but the kitchen is being renovated. I found there's a vent stack off the laundry room, and I thought there was none off the kitchen, until I was demo'ing the kitchen and found it to the left (pictured) in the wall.

I do not like the idea of a horizontal pipe hiding in the wall for the drain to follow until going down into the basement! So, I am trying to decide how to handle this. My options are three: 1. leave it the hell alone and just remove the old drain and stack off the laundry room (as pictured in basement shot, with the valve on it); 2. Remove the kitchen stack, plumb the new sink drain to the basement, and leave the laundry room stack for venting; 3. Remove the laundry room drain and stack, plumb new sink drain to the basement, and extend the kitchen stack down into the drain in the basement.

I'm sure these will all "work" but what is the best way to proceed?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Wally
P.S. I joined to ask this question, but I've been reading for about 6 years and picked up a lot of great info here!!!!

n2brk

Reaction score
ok, I can't seem to edit my post? Major brain fart, while I'm home sick with a fever, lol.

What I meant was in my options, was to cut the horizontal pipe heading to the kitchen sink, cap it off, plumb a new kitchen sink drain to the basement, and tie it into the current drain with the kitchen vent stack attached where it is in the drain pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally on a kitchen sink, it's 2" until the vent is taken off.
Having a 1.5" trap arm is fine, though if you want, you could recenter the drain in the cabinet and come up from below for the sink drain.
If that is done, the vent needs to come off the top of the santee fitting, and vertical until you are at least 42" above the floor. Sometimes and inspector will allow horizontal sooner than that if there is a window.

sink_dw.jpg

n2brk

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, and sorry for the vague writeup of my question... this cold is knocking me for a loop, and last night was the worst :)

The current position of the drain is in the middle of the window above, and this is where the new sink will also live (in the current plan), unless it gets moved even further away to the right.

From what I'm gathering by your reply, I cannot make the connection to vent in the basement but must run a horizontal pipe through the wall to the vent from the santee fitting? I was hoping to avoid a few feet of pipe behind the wall, but if that's code then I don't have a choice.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ONe possible problem with the horizontal copper drain is if the bottom is "thin" because of chemical drain cleaners. A vent in the basement would have absolutely no purpose as far as the sink drain is concerned. Any revision is going to require a somewhat extensive amount of work.

n2brk

Reaction score
got it; thanks. I'll inspect/replace the horizontal copper if necessary, remove the drain from the laundry room where it ties in, and keep everything as-is. Thanks!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks