Brass or PVC for Bathtub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

silverrhino

Reaction score
I will be replacing the drain assembly on our tub & shower during a remodel. Planned on using a PVC, sched 40 drain assembly. While have coffee yesterday, fellow that works for a plumber said that his boss "never puts PVC in" when he can use brass! I asked why......."because it is better" !!

My thoughts were that the PVC would be better and it is easier to work with. Is there a real that I should use brass over PVC??

Thanks for any assistance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
baker_tub_01.jpg

A Geberit cable waste and overflow on a Kohler Villager cast iron tub.

Current plumbing codes calls for solvent weld fittings on the tub waste and overflow in a concealed location.
On of the plumbing issues we deal with is leaking slip joint washers over time.
If you have access, like from a crawl space, then the brass waste and overflow tub drains are fine.

Last edited:

silverrhino

Reaction score
Thank you for re-assuring me that I was correct. Our home is built on a slab, so access to the tub waste is definitely concealed. I have cut a small access panel in the wall that the bath shares with a bedroom in order to be able to actually get to the pipes. I plan on finishing the wall in such a manner that the panel will be able to be removed in the future.

This is a great forum! Plumbing not being my thing, I am learning a lot by reading the various posts and the answers. Thank you for all your hard work, Great Job!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sch 40 waste and overflow systems can be more difficult to work with than tubular brass or plastic, but they also give you bit more freedom to make adjustments for alignment. The only time I would use a brass W&O would be if the customer wanted a "trip lever" operated unit. I am not a fan of the cable operated drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks