shower curb

Users who are viewing this thread

Carlosa

Reaction score
I have 3 2x4s as the shower curb and its not the standard size, its going to be 5 feet long, have seen the proof goof box ones that are only 30 inch long and would have to order them , can anyone give me another alternative way that can be bought at HD so I can start on this asap.

Carlosa

Reaction score
can the curb be done after I have poured shower floor or does it have to be done at the same time, can I use the same quickrete sand mix I use for the pan or a different mix of mortar?

Justadrip

Reaction score
Hi Carlosa,
Head over to www.johnbridge.com for great advice on building showers, curbs and tile. This is a great forum for plumbing questions. No real pro's that build showers here on a regular basis. Dozens of them at johnbridge. Good luck.

BTW- I make my curbs out of brick.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Shower Curb Building Link List - www.no-curb.com

Wow - such help from Just a Drip. I make my curbs out of brick....

I think members of the John Bridge tile forum are discouraged from answering questions online outside of "Shallow End". Now their moderators like Dana are allowed I think, and Jim is a special case (in more ways than one) but someone low on the food chain (like Just a Drip) might get in trouble helping out too much here on Terry's forum. I was sure Just a Drip would say "I only use Kerdi Curbs" or maybe "have you heard of Kerdi?" - truth is the Kerdi curb is more like a tool box - that's tiled. Or at least the size of the monster. Check out this huge foam curb here:

On thing to remember is that - If you are building a traditional shower make sure you order two of these (outside corner dams) from Noble Company....

attachment.php

AND ALWAYS FLOOD TEST YOUR SHOWER

John Bridge wrote about building curbs here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/shower-curb/

Now he is long since retired. I think he tries to sell eBooks on Kerdi these days.

Careful which people help you on the John Bridge Forum. Many of the regular posters there don't actually work in the business anymore.

Post your question in the "Deep End" not the "Shallow End" as they call it over there.

The Pro's hang out on occasion in the deep end. The Kerdi salesmen (like Jim) hang out in the shallow end.

In Australia they are not allowed to use wood for shower curbs. Here is a link on Australia shower building codes right here on Terry's site:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?52779-AS3740-Waterproofing-Showers

Now if you want to know how I build them. Check out my posts on www.no-curb.com or have a read of this featured idea book on Houzz.com I wrote number of months back

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/4142945/list/How-to-Build-a-Better-Shower-Curb

Here is a nice Brick Curb Photo:

modern-.jpg

This shower has a heated floor. I installed a low curb in this one by cutting some bricks down to 2/3 thick.

Of course removing the curbs all together is nice.

Here are a few pictures of curbless showers to perhaps make you think twice about a shower curb to begin with...

traditional-bathroom.jpg

contemporary-bathroom.jpg

If you don't like low profile curbs and prefer "Monster Size or Super Sized Curbs" have a look....

HOW TO GET INFO ON THE JOHN BRIDGE TILE FORUM: Remember when you post on the John Bridge forum do so in the "Deep End". That is where the Pro's hang out. Avoid the "Shallow End" - this is reserved I believe for Jim and CX to help people with information they can goggle by themselves. The "Deep End" is where the handful of tile men hang out that post.

The problem I see it with the Deep End versus the Shallow End is I think they only let "Pros" post there. So your question is bond to end up in the general area or "Shallow End". So confusing. Deep End - Shallow End....

Last edited:

Justadrip

Reaction score
Knew you couldn't stay away for very long John. What happend? Run out of forums that would have you?:p

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can use concrete pavers or bricks if you don't want to use wood. Wood works IF it is on a subfloor, not very well if it is on a slab (where the slab could get moisture from below). The hassle with wood from the typical lumber yard is that is it may not be fully dry yet, and could shrink initially which is not great. It depends on what and how you're building the rest of the shower. There are millions of showers out there with wooden curbs...if you waterproof it properly it works. If you regularly get water splashed out of the shower, maybe not. Most people contain the water in the shower, but that is a consideration.

FWIW, there are hundreds of pro tillers over at www.johnbridge.com . You'll get more than one opinion, but all of them are in accordance with the TCNA specifications, which is how tiled things are supposed to be made in North America. Other jurisdictions have their own rules and materials standards that may not apply.

Just like there's more than one plumber who posts here on Terry Love, more than one tiler posts at John Bridge's site, in fact, there are hundreds of active tiling pros, rather than the small handful here. You'll get more than one opinion there without insults...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks