Where to buy a fitting like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Im putting a double sink vanity in my bathroom. The main stack to the house is in the center of the vanity its 4" the sinks will be the first thing to drain in it.
I think I need a fitting like this

cross.jpg

Or what should I use to tie in the double sinks? The center of each sink will be 15" from the stack, is this proper venting for a double vanity, since its the first thing to drain on the main stack? Am I on the right track here? Thanks in advance, sorry for all the beginner questions.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
Assuming that the 4" is not a drain for something on a floor above, then you could use a 4" X 2" double san tee with 2" X 1 1/2" bushings in the sides. If the 4" is a drain from above then there is more to it than that.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure hope your Chinese valves are better than the blender my wife bought the other day. As Neil Young sang, It was a piece of crap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In most cases the "back to back fixture fitting" would be the proper one, however they do not make reducing ones in the larger sizes, so either use bushings or a reducing sanitary cross. Depending on WHERE the bathroom is, you may need a cleanout in the stack above or below the connection. When you say they are the 'first fixtures' do you mean upstream or downstream? I.e., is everything else after them.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Yes everything is after the sink, its just vent through the roof above the sink.

Single floor ranch with basement

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that 4 inch pipe is the vent for a lot more than those two lavatories. It will also be a wet vent for the toilets, the basement drains, and who knows what else, which is why you called that the "main stack". That will affect the description of what is proper.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
the 4" is a straight shot from into the basement floor to out the roof. It has a toilet, tub, and vanity on it now. I have 2 floor drains in the basement one is about 10 feet away from the stack, the other is about 20 feet away.

the kitchen drains into the floor into 2" 20 feet away from the stack, with its own 2" vent out of the roof.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
let me back up a bit, right now theres a single 1 1/2" drain out of the wall in the bathroom vanity, is there a legal way to hook 2 sinks into the one drain?

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
I can get pics later, what all would you like to see?

Plumbing in basement?
Bathroom wall is not opened up.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Even a sketch would do.

If you have a 4" pipe between the two lavs, then that creates some issues with piping.

What decade is the home?

Is there one lav in the correct location now?

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Built in 1954, all bath plumbing has been converted to pvc at one time and layout changed.

Ill sketch out what I have in just a few.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Scan0004.jpg

The stack and toilet are 6 feet center to center, bathtub branch line has an auto vent on it.

I don't know if the auto vent is legal, I would think it needs to vent back into the stack in the attic or above the bath sink somewhere. But I need to figure the sink situation out first.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can add two lavs above the toilet. Those will be wet vented. Totally fine.
If you want to get tricky, you can stack two 3x1.5" santees and point them toward the lavs.
You have one now, it would be adding one below it, and adding a bit of length to one lav tailpiece.
It seems like you could get by with a 3x3x2x2 double santee and bush them down to 1.5", but I would ask the inspector first.
We normally would do a 2x2x1.5x1.5 double fixture fitting, but 3" is even better.
The trap arm for the toilet is fine. It's within the six feet distance for UPC. That's the code I work with.
The tub autovent I would have preferred in a better location. It will need access for air and replacement.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
so I cant tie into the 1 1/2" allready out of the wall for both sinks to avoid opining the wall right?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not unless you want a "Mickey Mouse" setup similar to what you probably have under your kitchen sink. (but the kitchen sink drain is NOT "Mickey Mouse".)

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Got ya hj, I found PVC Double Reducing Wye, 4x4x2x2. Gotta order it, should arrive thursday or so.

In the very near future I have to put in a macerating toilet and sink set up in the basement, "water table way to high to cut in the floor, both neighbors cant keep water out where they cut on the slab" So while I was in the wall was gonna run a 2" vent to attic and tie back in to main. Is this proper?

I scanned a new sketch of what I think will work, and also eliminate the autovent on the tub. New stuff in red, Please advise.

Sorry for all the questions, figure I better ask now than later.

Scan0005.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Running the vent from the pump and tying it in at the attic is good.
The vent for the tub is normally run above the flood level for the tub. You may want to run the auto vent up into a wall near the tub, and add an access panel for it.
Or you could wye off below the toilet, and run the tub drain with vent, tying the vent into the 2" vent shown at 42" above the floor there. Normally I run up to five feet on 2", but some locals allow six feet.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Allready have a big access panel for the tub, so the auto vent will be moved. I will post pics up soon as I get the other stuff roughed in. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Alright Terry heres what I came up with, hoping in good to go.

4x2 Double reducing wye for vanity. Vent from basement ran to attic tied into stack for future bathroom, and lastly my wall opinging where the auto vent for tub will go. Auto vent will end up being about 12" above the tub rim. Hope all it good, let me know your thoughts.
20140313_121248.jpg20140313_140908.jpg20140313_141322.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks