1/2" Water Line 1/2" Water Line Split 12" long

Users who are viewing this thread

egm1947

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in WV and last month we had a real cold spell for a few days where even with water running we had a line split under our mobile home. It was a line going to an outside spigot. Being on private land and retired in a wheelchair, my wife heard the water leaking as she was walking up the ramp along side the home after doing some shopping. We called He brother and her came over the next morning and shut off the valve that fed the water to that line.

He said that water was spewing out of that line that was a 1/2" Line Split 12" to 14" long.

I Knew I would have a high water bill as I figured it had to have been running about 3 days, but when I got my bill I almost had my 4th heart attack!! Our normal
water usage for wife and I was the min. charge of 1800 gal. $18.50. This bill was for 88,500 Gal / $417.85. There is no way I could have leaked that much. Thats enough to fill a couple of pools.

I have asked to have the meter checked and am still waiting. Even though its winter here there is no pooling or wet areas between house and meter.

Question I have is how long would it take under nornal preasure to expel that much water??

Thanks for any help!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Quick math says 5-7 days. If your subsoil is largely sand, you might never see it.

I wish we could get water that inexpensively.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; 88,500 Gal / $417.85. There is no way I could have leaked that much. Thats enough to fill a couple of pools.

Actually, about 4 pools, but, why not? You don't know how long it was leaking, but it was running 24/7. If the meter did NOT give you bills other than the minimum, up till now, why would it suddenly ?break" at the same time the pipe did, and meters, because they are a geared device, usually record LESS than is being used if the flow exceeds their capacity or the mechanism wears.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He said that water was spewing out of that line that was a 1/2" Line Split 12" to 14" long.

You might as well have cut the line with a split like that. Figger an open 1/2" line outputting for days.

My younger brother for his 50th, took two hoses and ran them into my mothers waterfall. The pump had failed, so he took two garden hoses and made the water fall work that way. It was his "birthday" weekend and was having a party there on Sunday.
I showed up for the party, and being the party wrecker that I am, pulled the hoses and turned off the water.
My mothers water bill came in at "over" $2,000
And that was for a weekend of waterfalls. It sounds like you caught your leak pretty quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks