Code Question - Shut off valves inside wall OK or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hope all are well.

Currently my shower wall is open and I have ball, shut off, valves sweated in - just before the inputs of the shower mixer assembly.

I'm wondering if having ball, shut off, valves inside a wall (no access once the wall is closed up) is a code violation?

Please let me know what you think, if you get a chance.

Many Thanks,

Silver

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Think about it. What would be the function of a valve inside of a wall? Do valves ever develop leaks around the stems? :rolleyes:

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
Good Points Gary,

I appreciate your input.

Initally the shut off valves were sweated in to allow for work to continue in the shower without the need for the water for the entire building (condo) being turned off. Yes, integral stops will do that now. When the valves were installed, the old shower stall & corresponding plumbing was removed. Additionally, the details for the new shower were not resolved.

In not sure when the ball, shut off, valves may start to leak? Murphy's law however, tells me that they will fail when I'm away on vacation. :eek:

Please send me your reccomendations on this, if you get a chance.

Thanks again,

Silver

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove the valves that are in the wall cavity. If they're good valves, reuse them. If they were cheap temporary ones, replace with good ones and put them outside the wall where they can be accessed if work on the tub/shower is necessary. That way, the only water that would have to be shut off is at the tub/shower and everything else would still be operable.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
and / or, an access panel from the other side.

Paul

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
Access panel, on other side of wall, would be ideal. Unfortunately, the other side of the wall is not mine....it's another condo unit.

Any thoughts on putting an access panel adjacent (easiest would be above shower head - close to ceiling) to shower? Perhaps this is another code question?

Many thanks for your insights and help!! :)

Silver

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks