2012 UPC + Cleanouts

Users who are viewing this thread

seans

Reaction score
I'm in Seattle, which adopted 2012 UPC. My drain/waste lines for bathroom are on horizontal branches from the main stack. I have less than 135-degrees of bends, but the toilet terminates a total of about 7' from the main stack, and the tub more than 5' where it branches from toilet drain line

Questions:
1) Am I required to have a cleanout on the end of both the toilet and bath horizontal runs?
2) Does the answer differ for 1st floor bath (plumbing exposed in basement ceiling) vs. 2nd floor bath (concealed)?
3) Is a sanitary tee allowed for transition from horizontal to (short) vertical through floor to toilet?

Horrible image attached (with all vent plumbing omitted) co.jpg

Thanks.
-Sean.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not use a santee on it's back for the toilet.
If you decide to use a cleanout there, do it either as a wye after a 90 below the closet flange, or use a wye or combo fitting.

A vent will need to be on the tub line.

However, since this is first and second floor plumbing above the basement, they won't require a cleanout for those. They would if it was for a kitchen sink.
You will be fine with a 90 for the toilet. Don't forget the vent for the tub though.

seans

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

I omitted the vents from the diagram. We have a vent on the bath trap arm. Unless it was misunderstood, the inspector is requiring us to add a vent between the toilet and where the toilet and tub drains join. I didn't have that originally.

To restate part of your answer to make sure I get it - even though the 1st floor plumbing is exposed in the ceiling of an unfinished basement, no cleanouts required.

Thanks much.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cleanouts are normally only required at the points where the pipes enter the basement floor, OR where the trap is more than 5' from its connection to the main system. I usually put them anywhere I think a line could eventually have a problem, regardless of what is "required". In other words, according to your diagram, both lines are installed in such a way that NEITHER should ever become obstructed or need a cleanout. The only one that "might" be beneficial would be one installed in the bathtub's vent line.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks