Rotted Basement Drain

Does anyone even read these threads?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

david2269

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 12 year old home in the GTA which I have been in for 5 years and has an unfinished basement. There are two floor drains in the basement - #1 is by the furnace/water heater and #2 is on the other side of the basement and it has two plastic tubes (about 1/2") draining into it, one from the main floor laundry tub the other from a water filter on the main. Both drain covers were embedded in the concrete floor and the actual drain pipe is also embedded but does not come up to floor level. The drain covers are rusted (#1) and rotted out completely (#2) and drain #2 stinks every month or so even though there is water in the trap. Drain #1 never smells presumably because the furnace condensate line drains here.

The two plastic drain hoses that go into drain #2 are roughly cut through the side wall of the pipe and when the water filter is being back-washed you can see the water spills out the cuts into a void presumably beneath the floor. regardless, the water in the drain gets stagnant and you can see it become murky as the month progresses. My questions are as follows:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

1. Should I be breaking open the floor, replacing this drain with one that comes to the top of the floor so I can install a new cover and then properly fitting the two hoses so they can't leak beneath the slab floor?
2. Could the water leaking out this drain at the cuts be eroding my foundation and causing water to stand under there making the bad smell? Is this a problem?
3. What would be causing the foul smell?
4. What would cause the old drain covers to rot away in a relatively short lifetime?
5. If a lack of regular water flow is causing the smell (how regular is regular?) how can i add flow to the drain?
6. There is no basement washroom roughed in - could I add my own using this drain?

Appreciate any feedback you might provide.

David

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks