6" valve for sewer shutoff? Gate or ball, PVC or Cast

Users who are viewing this thread

lj973gm

Reaction score
Sewage at my home ties into a private sewer system which has been troublesome lately and the check valve I have sometimes does not seal off 100%.

So I am looking to install a manual shut off valve in the basement of my home just before it exits out the foundation. Original 6" cast iron, plan to cut and use a mission connection.

I know a 6" cast gate valve is the standard which has been used for years but seem to carry a price tag of $600 or more. Not sure my best place to source on from and also require flange adapter to convert over to mission connection.

I have found 6" Ball valves which can be found on **** as surplus but new for under $100. They are rated to 150 PSI and are a slip connection. Easy to use mission band on.

Wondering if a 6" ball valve is OK for a sewer application. I am guessing any solids coming from my home would not cause a sealing problem for this application.

Any suggestion are appreciated for a valve that will work to meet my needs with a fair price.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I am guessing any solids coming from my home would not cause a sealing problem for this application.

And why wouldn't they be? Who uses a 6" sewer for a house/residence? What you really need is a combination gate valve/backwater valve such as the J R Smith 7153. That gate valve has a "shear" gate which slices off anything that gets on the seat, which a conventional gate valve or ball valve CANNOT do. If something prevents the valve from closing it will be no more effective than your BWV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks