Help with laundry room plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramjam

Reaction score
End of the line where the washer is.

Newly installed fittings and pipe tend to be easier to split apart. We take our time with that stuff. We don't like breaking concrete either.

Excellent. I will add a clean out there while I'm at it.

Good to know about the pipe. I will look more into this. If it was just the concrete I wouldn't mind so much, it's having to rip up the flooring and all that that bothers me more. But if I have to, I have to.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can try it with the 1.5" first.
We used to do washers with 1.5" years ago. It's fine as long as the line is clean. Used to meaning in the 60's
2" pipe has twice the volumne of 1.5"
3" pipe is the same as two 2" and one 1.5"
4" pipe is the same as four 2" pipes.

Ramjam

Reaction score
You can try it with the 1.5" first.
We used to do washers with 1.5" years ago. It's fine as long as the line is clean. Used to meaning in the 60's
2" pipe has twice the volumne of 1.5"
3" pipe is the same as two 2" and one 1.5"
4" pipe is the same as four 2" pipes.

I certainly understand the benefits of a bigger line. My current washer is older and I haven't had issues with it but I imagine a newer washer may cause problems.

To try it with 1.5 would mean leaving that trap in place though...

Ramjam

Reaction score
I'm not where I can see how difficult it is. If it was open I would run with 2"

I'm hoping to be able to do so as well. I can also try at least removing the trap by chiseling the pipe there as you suggested, but that joint is quite old so I'm concerned. I don't imagine there's some type of fernco coupling or something else I could use that could slip over the female end of the trap after I cut it and the male end of a 1.5 inch pipe is there?

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
it may be a worthwhile investment to hire a pro to come in and remove the trap then you take it from there...there's two ways to go about it...as Terry mentioned by splitting the fitting hub and "breaking" it off the pipe...or cutting it close to the hub and use a Rambit

Ramjam

Reaction score
it may be a worthwhile investment to hire a pro to come in and remove the trap then you take it from there...there's two ways to go about it...as Terry mentioned by splitting the fitting hub and "breaking" it off the pipe...or cutting it close to the hub and use a Rambit

I saw the rambits. I don't know if that would work for me as I need tk remove the exterior of the fitting and not the interior.

Ramjam

Reaction score
you could remove the pipe from the hub on the tee where it connects to the stack as well

Yes however this will limit me to a 1.5" pipe. This spot is easier to get it and it was glued more recently than the rest, but again if I break it I'm up the creek

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks